[Reader-list] 665 million in India defecate in open: UN

rajkamal rajkamal at atree.org
Thu Oct 15 16:48:20 IST 2009

Dear Kashmendra,

Thanks for the valuable insights and the cases. What appalls me is the complete lack of empathy for the marginalized sections of the society & targeting them for all the problems of the socio-environment sphere.

Classic example is the cry-out of the western world ( and doles of World Bank soft loans) to replace wood-based fuel with LPG in the poorer sections. The justification being that less dependence on wood-more trees-more natural carbon sequestration & less global warming-arresting climate change. And what is more appalling & also frustrating is the extraordinary eagerness shown by our executive to grab this dole-outs! I have personally seen how LPG distribution to far-flung tribal settlements in Mizoram state was carried out with lot of pomp & show by the NTCA (erstwhile Project Tiger). 3 months down the line & all that was left was empty cylinders & dusty gas-stoves! Reason? Because there were only mud roads connecting these forest settlements to the nearest small town ( 30kms away) with no regular transport. Hence the cylinders never got refilled & the villagers went back to the fuel wood which was right there, in their backyard!

In the20 year old debate about climate change & reduction of GHGs, there has been absolutely no talk about a section of our country who has, on an average, more than one car at disposal. During peak hours it is common to see sedans & suvs just having a driver! How many initiatives has been taken by the executive to address these issues? How much thought has gone to streamline & improve the PTS on a countrywide scale? I hail from a very small town called Tezpur, which is about 200 kms east of Guwahati, on the north bank of Brahmaputra. I have seen the sleepy town with a few cycles, cycle-rickshaws & a handful of mobikes & cars (we knew how many of them were there), transform to a mini traffic chaos! Almost every second guy has a mobike & every sixth one a car! And during peak hours you can see one-way no-entry signs which is no-entry only for the cycle-rickshaws! While the smoky cars & the bikes trudges along!

Just a couple of first hand-cases to exemplify the blame that is being passed (almost always) on the socio-economically poor &  marginalized.  And that’s how and where the state fails!

thanks

Rajkamal Goswami,