[Reader-list] Death of 'Soul of Capitalism'

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 17:26:21 IST 2009

Dear Jebeesh

thanks for forwarding very thought provoking pieces on the List, this one too

'inevitable fall of amercia ' is what many people have been
predicting, but this one seems more scientific, although
intrepretation of  'the fall' would be different at differnt levels,
but  frightening in any case, because ' catastrophic' consequences for
the rest of us and them as well.

it was very recent in history that Modern Americanism/Western
amalgmated scinece, arts, literature and other social conceptual
frames to help human being in distress, but it seems that more its '
capitalistic' modes rendered the earlier demons dysfunctional, the
more it gave birth to new ones. Right now, the present, which is
pregnant with  ' a depression'  after it fornicated with ' spending
beyond means' we are likely to inherit  'monostrous results' very
soon, if not by '2012', but but around, and pass on its terrible side
effects to future generations. No choice, perhaps...

The term ' globalisation' then would look different what it defines
itself right now, because the unethical practices of very '
capitalistic ' legacy would function in a very brutal manner and
compel the commoner and strongheaded 'groups' to embrace violence,
violence in its terrible form,  as never seen before, perhaps. Do, we
presently look paranoid, or it is actually?

Although slippery to say, but ironcially the present opposition, such
as Muslim Fundamentalism: Jehad, to this American failing 'Hegemony',
might come handy to slow down its fall.  Because of deep
nexus/intimacy between the two; and the very opposition which is
embedded in the popular anti-west might actually discover a path for
their exit from crises.  So, i dont see Americanism disappearing, but
unfortunately  re-appearing as demon in our own backyards with
different names, forms and colours.

Because the producers of the Oil, and the its Consumers, primarily
West, have manifested a genetic kind of bonding by now, which is
defining modern world politics at the moment. The rest which includes
India, besides china too are running on paths strewn with banana
peels. Who can write a global economy, i guess there will be different
way of looking at it, but not contradicting too radically, i guess.

Oh, this Fall,  so predictable so far,  but holding a strange
unpridictablity, almost hidden within its black hole, if one can say
so, and that might contain some possiblities of good future/hope as
well. The Rest as against the American/West have a long list of left
overs: people stricken with poverty and underdeveloopment, where
modernity failed to heal the wound inflicted by the past demons.
Perhaps, lot of gloss which accompanied with modernity kept it away
from reaching the masses at the  same time. Good, paradoxically, See,
how Indian banks , for their indifference to the right consumer/needy
celebrate 'No Crunch' in their accounts in comparision to Banking
system in the West/America.

So, some Believer kind of Analysts, here, in our part of the world,
might feel that there never was a SOUL in Americanism, but , i feel
there was, which, we could not save. which is sad. But was it the duty
of the west only to protect its 'soul' by looking around its
shoulders, which it failed ?

 for this reason,  we hear most of Believers ( of any religion )
here, complaining that modernity tried to snatch God from their hands,
but we  ( the believers ) always felt otherwise.

No, sorry, the Believers, were holding the tail of spirit only, like
West's  misinterpretation of the very spirit defined , say,
'morality' through  capitalism, which never functioned.  It was always
like, a factory which was designed to produce X number of bags in a
day, but it never, and the moment it was pushed to commit the
machinery to its full potential, it over heated , and a short circuit,
time and again. This applies to our  dogmatic system of Believers too.

So, i guess, something else might bring us closer to  our ' collective
unconscious' , if somehting is terribly wrong with our notion of
facts, which seems  true, and that we may debate..

Yesteday, i happned to see, a book cover, Ancient Futures. i had no
urge to know its contents,  but it was cool on the eye, and eye within
the eye

with love
inder salim

http://indersalim.livejournal.com