[Reader-list] Talk on Sharar's Guzashta Lakhnau

Ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Fri Oct 23 18:55:17 IST 2009

You are invited to CSDS seminar Room (29 Oct, 2009,Thursday, 3.30 PM)  for a

Talk by CM Naim, Professor Emeritus, Univ of Chicago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._M._Naim

on

INTERROGATING “THE EAST,” “CULTURE,” AND “LOSS,” IN ABDUL HALIM SHARAR’S
Guzashta Lakhna’u

Abdul Halim ‘Sharar’ ( -1926) is considered the pioneer of the historical
novel in Urdu; the other reason for his fame is his remarkable book on the
history and culture of Lucknow during the heydays of the Nawabs. Commonly
known as Guzashta Lakhna’u (The Lucknow of the Past), its original title was
Hindustan Me Mashriqi Tamaddun ka Aakhiri Namuuna (The Last Example of
Eastern Culture in India). In my paper I try to interrogate the key words in
the original title, in order to more fully understand the intellectual
context of the book and what could have been some tacit assumptions
under-girding Sharar’s authorial enterprise.

Ravikant