[Reader-list] Fwd: [indiathinkersnet] Love Jihad propaganda and the advent of Sri Ram Sene

Venugopalan K M kmvenuannur at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 22:58:24 IST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sultan Ibrahim <sultanofpeace at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [indiathinkersnet] Love Jihad propaganda and the advent of Sri
Ram Sene
To: indiathinkersnet at yahoogroups.com
Cc: Sevanti Ninan <sevanti_ninan at yahoo.co.in>

Thank you PUCL, you prove that humanity has not entirely waned out (see the
Hindu report below). The campaign started by Sri Ram Sena of Mangalore has
been taken over by the media, the police and shockingly the judiciary (pray
its only a section) also followed suit, negating the principled enshrined in
the time tested Constitution. The fairy tail ‘love jihad’ has given the new
space for the state to enter even in the family life of people, couples who
have braved the opposition of families on both sides, are now the target of
police. The liberal force once again proved to be a farce. Its like the end
of civilization. The victims are Muslims today, but others will not be far
behind in being listed as targets under one pretext or the other. When the
‘love jihad’ campaign runs out of steam, we will be questioned for breathing
air or for smiling in the moon light.

Salman Khurshid, Farooq Abdullah, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Arif Mohammed Khan,
MJ Abkbar, ex Airforce chief Lathif, Amir Khan, Sharuq Khan, Mohammed
Asharuddin, Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi ….. and there are thousands and
thousands of Hindu men who have married Muslim women. Are they ‘love
jihadis’ or are among the best of human souls that braved the family and
society to take the call of the heart. Can these Hindu ladies be instruments
in highjacking Muslim men of caliber as the Muslim cousins of Hindutwa love
to believe. I have heard this story earlier that the Sangh Parivar is
attempting to convert Muslim women by feigning love, each time a Muslim girl
was in love with a Hindu boy. But this nonsense to frighten Muslim girls was
not bought by the media, police or judiciary, but they bought it wholesale
when the propagator was the Hindutwa.

This unfortunate couple was in the media several times, the police of
Karnataka and Kerala have investigated the allegations several times. And
this is their fate now…

The poor Adivasis, Dalits and Muslims are swarming into the Maoists. Perhaps
the media now wants the educated young Muslims also to turn to the Maoists
to engage in self defeating violence, by pushing them to the wall, actually
beyond the wall.

Sultan

Here is their adds:

Ramdas Rao, President, PUCL Bangalore
59 Shivaji Road, Shivaji Nagar
Bangalaore- 560051
Ph: 9449399729 ramdas_rao at hotmail.com

http://www.hindu.com/2009/10/23/stories/2009102360270700.htm<ramdas_rao@hotmail.com>

*‘Love jehad’ figment of imagination: PUCL <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>*

Special Correspondent <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

Bangalore: The People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) has said it will
file a writ petition in the Supreme Court challenging the Karnataka High
Court’s order asking a woman who had converted to Islam to marry a Muslim
man from Kerala, to return to her parents’ home until the case was
investigated. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

The PUCL will question the decision of the High Court to send the
23-year-old woman back to her family despite her statement in court that she
had willingly converted and was waiting to get married under the provisions
of the Special Marriages Act. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

Hearing the case of Siljaraj and Azghar, the court had said the facts had
“national ramifications concerning security, besides the question of
unlawful trafficking of women,” and ordered the Director-General and
Inspector-General of Police to hold a thorough investigation to rule out the
theory that this was a case of ‘love jehad’ (a loose coinage implying that
women are being lured into conversion through marriage) and file a report by
November 13. The girl was asked to stay with her parents until such
time.<ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

“She is a major and no one has a right to thrust her back into the family.
We see it as part of a pattern of continued intimidation on the basis of
community and gender, first started in Dakshina Kannada,” said Ramadasa Rao
of the PUCL. He feared that the girl might come under pressure of family and
community during her stay with them. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

The whole notion of ‘love jehad’, said Professor Rao, is a “figment of the
imagination” and the order will severely impact the rights of young women
and men to free association and marriage. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

Reacting to the order, senior advocate Ravi Varma Kumar said that it
violated Article 21 (of life and personal liberty) and Article 25 (of
freedom of religion) of the Indian Constitution. He cited *Lata Singh vs.
State of Uttar Pradesh, 2006, *in which the Supreme Court upheld the right
of a person who had reached the age of majority to marry of his or her own
choice. Kirti Singh, a Supreme Court advocate and legal convener of the All
India Democratic Women’s Association (AIDWA), described the case as
“absolutely shocking.” She said the question of national security was being
mixed up with the simple case of a girl exercising a choice guaranteed to
her under the law of the land and Constitution. “The court has taken a
patriarchal role,” she said, stating that it reflected intolerance for the
girl’s choices. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

In Bangalore, Home Minister V.S. Acharya told reporters that ‘love jehad’
appeared to be a “serious issue.” The State government would take steps to
counter it. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

The Muslim Central Committee of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts will
convene a conference of Muslims in Mangalore on November 12 to discuss
issues related to ‘love jehad’. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>

Addressing reporters in Mangalore on Thursday, committee president K.S.
Mohammed Masood alleged that vested interests were attempting to tarnish the
image of Islam by framing the phrase ‘love jehad’. “There is no such phrase
in Islam. It is an absurd usage,” he added. <ramdas_rao at hotmail.com>