[Reader-list] a "sclerosis between the verbal and non verbal arts"?

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Thu Oct 29 11:32:20 IST 2009

...and (why) is "the prejudice of much art towards poetry... inherently
passeistic"?

Caroline Bergvall (very interesting poet) writing on a recent "poetry
marathon" at the Serpentine Gallery. From "Harriet", the poetry
foundation blog:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2009/10/poetry-marathon-at-the-serpentine-gallery-london/#more-5946

Poetry Marathon at the Serpentine Gallery, London

Poetry contributor Caroline Bergvall attended the 50-some poet, 36-hour
poetry marathon at the Serpentine Gallery in London on October 17–18.
Her dispatch follows:

I’m writing in from London where I’ve recently been part of a highly
ambitious poetry event. The internationally reputed Serpentine Gallery
in Hyde Park has for the past 4 years been hosting a mad type of event,
an annual 36 hours live event, a more or less non-stop art marathon of
presentations. This year they decided to create it as a Poetry Marathon.
Some 50 poets were slated to take part, each reading for approx. 15
mins—a decent time given the chain of readings and the expected strained
attention span.

The event has been summarized in great detail online, complete with
program notes, introductory remarks by the curator and high-end cultural
entrepreneur Hans Ulrich Obrist, as well as pics and comments on many of
the readers. Although amazing, I have to admit the event has left me
thoughtful…

The decision to dedicate a whole weekend to contemporary poetry within a
public art setting was immediately exciting to me. Inevitably, linking
poetry to the visual arts or, rather, to its institutions, brings poets
and poetry into a more public, less specialized sphere (one might wish
to discuss the meaning of the term “public” since so many arts and
poetry events are corporately funded) than that provided for by
dedicated poetry environments. Certainly, events organized within
museums or galleries are attended well beyond what one might usually
expect from a poetry reading in a literary venue. I could tally
audiences from similar events in NYC, as I’ve been involved in some of
these in recent times, such as MoMA’s Modern Poet series (initially
created by Frank O’Hara), Dia’s commissioning of poets for some of their
events programming, the NY Art Book Fair at PS1 with its many readings
and talks, even the recent Whitney one-off extravaganza of poetry as
entertainment, to name but a few that you may be familiar with.

The array of historic art shows, notably around Concrete, Dada, and
Futurist movements or those from more recent Environmental or Concept
Arts, where the strict line between textual and visual exploration
blissfully dissipates are another important linkage between artistic
modalities. Poetic explorations of language can here be experienced in
their interaction with different presentational and investigative forms;
and be witnessed and discussed by a whole range of audiences otherwise
often not involved in poetry. In an epoch so overly dedicated to the
visual arts, where urban family outings can also take place in the malls
and cafés of our large museums, the presence of poetic works at the very
heart of art shows is a reminder of poetry’s and of treated language’s
role in shaping the larger artistic developments we’re inheriting from
the 20th century. Poets’ impact on the development of interdisciplinary
arts provides a crucial, if often largely ignored, contribution to
subsequent art or literary histories. It is this connecting line between
the visual and the textual and literary arts that is at entry favored by
the Serpentine event.

The Poetry Marathon used the idea of “poetry” very loosely, nearly
archaically. It is more to do with doing and making (language) than with
applying the stricter and formal bounds of any art form per se. Indeed
the remit for “poetry” this weekend is “performances from leading poets,
writers, artists, philosophers, scholars, and musicians.” As such it is
an umbrella term, a reminder that everybody writes, sometimes. However,
in the context of a highly secluded British poetry culture, perhaps
they’ve taken the idea one step too far.

The highy diverse presence (live or remote) of poets/writers/performers,
such as John Giorno, John Ashbery, Geoffrey Hill, Eileen Myles, Etel
Adnan, Gerhard Rühm, Jacques Roubaud, Don Paterson, Alasdair Gray, Nick
Laird, Sean Bonney, Kenny Goldsmith, Charlie Dark, Michael Horovitz,
Vito Acconci or myself was promising. Here we had an internationalist
(if Anglo slanted) event. A closer look revealed that only a very small
handful of poets from the many (established and less established) scenes
of Britain were represented. The gender and ethnicity count among these
was also troublingly unequal, where this is in fact the one thing the
Brit Po establishment has represented quite systematically, even at the
expense of other, more formally pertinent values. This struck me as the
clearest sign of the scission between visual arts and poetic practice in
Britain. Indeed, to suggest that official poetry in the UK is
increasingly associated with heritage art is a clear exaggeration (a
recent survey found that many Londoners have no idea who John Donne is).
Nevertheless, in a country where the sheer word “poetry” sends a shiver
down many Brits’ backs and where the artist Tracey Emin, who opened the
weekend, publishes her endlessly pre-teen poetry in GQ magazine, an
aspect of the event did need to provide both a closer look at British
literary poetry and a slightly more stringent definition of the
operative term itself.

Furthermore, although a number of the chosen artists are known for
dealing with writing and language pertinently and intrinsically as part
of their artwork (Susan Hiller, Tacita Dean, Sean Landers, Jimmie
Durham, Jonas Mekas, Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster), it was something of a
disappointment to see so many of them react with undisguised anxiety at
that same word, “poetry.” Otherwise lucid, articulate artists found
themselves in the throes of open self loathing, “I don’t know poetry,”
“I dont know what to read,” choosing to calm the audience by reading
from known values such as Eliot, Ted Hughes, Lorca, and Hamburger’s
Celan, rather than tracing their own engagement with writing as part of
the event. Here, poetry itself was treated as a historical, in the sense
of acquired, decorative, rather than productive, mode of functioning.

What happened? Tim Griffin, poet and editor of Artforum, said in his
opening remarks that poetic investigation might provide a needed grammar
for the arts in a period of crisis. This insightful point was echoed by
Eileen Myles, who reminded us that a number of poets in the late-20th
and early-21st centuries have certainly at times sought out arts
environments for a wider, looser, more open renewal of their forms and
modes, but that it was now time for the visual arts seeking out writing
and literature to query their more profound questions about writing. How
and why might they be courting poets and poetry, how and why might they
wish to including reading and writing as part of their practices, and
more pointedly, what were poets doing at the Serpentine?

So what’s the problem? Here again, it seems to me that the event
confirmed that the debates between art and poetry remain superficial and
usually kept on a back foot, or at arm’s length. Apart from artists or
writers who specifically develop ways of working across these
disciplines or modes, the cultural status quo is still very much, and in
an often unexamined way, one of irreconcilable historic and formal
differences between the literary and visual arts. The mood was certainly
very different a year ago when the Serpentine hosted a large
retrospective by the filmmaker, painter, and poet, Derek Jarman.

The prejudice of much art towards poetry is that it is inherently
passeistic when not informed by artistic modes. The question of writings
by artists is that writing is an instrumentalized, functional activity.
This ignores the fact that the whole question of applied (or writerly)
language is also that of histories of language and of literary and
semiotic applications. All this forms a specific skills base that is
indeed pertinent to the demagogic and mediatized rhetorics of our times.

The reluctance of the artists present to engage with poetic material and
the absence of more British poets effectively created the feeling that
the pink elephant in this open-air enclosure was language itself. Or
rather, a fear of language, a fear about not controlling a knowledge of
language that demands its conscious, careful, and studied semiotic and
semantic manipulations across a whole range of environments. The fact
that poetic and literary cultures in Britain are still resolutely
separate from other artforms, unless dealing with theatrical
performance, certainly plays an important part in generating this sort
of sclerosis between verbal and non-verbal arts.

—Caroline Bergvall, October 26, 2009

* “Recently discovered letters from Philip Larkin to Monica Jones
disclose that the poet became so obsessed with the hit television show
Baywatch that he considered writing to the producers and offering his
services as their new leading man.” —From the 2009 Serpentine Gallery
Poetry Marathon program