[Reader-list] 'What Is Eve Teasing?' - Opinion Poll Results

Jasmeen Patheja machleetank at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 22:50:56 IST 2009

Hello,

Am going to try and respond one by one to each of the emails.
*
kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
I was intrigued by the example (of acts) "Talking to breasts". Perhaps it is
"Talking about Breasts". Unless breasts now come pre-fitted with some Audio
Response System.
*
There are several women who have had their breasts spoken to, not their
face. This is an everyday lived reality.
Am hoping that women on this list and men who nod in agreement will respond
to you. Or else feel free to take the plunge here for testimonials
http://actionheroes.blanknoise.org/ This blog site does not suggest a way or
method of responding to harassment but simply archives testimonials from
women who have experienced and responded to street sexual harassment,
'teasing', assault, violence, intimidation, bullying, aggression.

The opinion poll shared by Chandni was prepared by the public- blank noise
volunteers and members from across age groups, largely between the age of
16- 35.

We use the term 'eve teasing' in Blank Noise because the public does not
respond with the same ease to an opinion poll on street sexual harassment.
It is therefore a deliberate choice of words and it also gives room to probe
whether and what and for whom it could be 'teasing' or flirting, or
violation.

Rakesh, the intention of the survey when we have used it in public spaces
has always been to trigger responses and to start dialogue about "eve
teasing". The general format is familiar to people and they are encouraged
to come forward and put their thumb prints on what they think "eve teasing"
is... this then forms the basis for a dialogue amongst the small groups who
collect around the survey board. It becomes a problem if you start to
analyse the survey in terms of exact numbers i.e. "x number of women between
z and b ages said this, but then of that 4% said c, therefore the survey
indicates... ": this kind of precision and derivation is not the intention
of the survey.

The survey was not created by a small group sitting in a room by themselves
with a pre-decided "value system" in mind. It was created over the course of
meetings in different Indian cities over 2004/2005 where volunteers were
asked what they believed comprised "eve teasing" and these responses were
put together. Oftentimes when we hold out the survey, women say they do not
agree or what they have experienced is not listed on here, and so they are
welcome to add their scribbles along the board and this leads to more
discussion.

I am not sure how to respond to: "Why do men and women have to wear
attractive clothing?"

Rakes said :
*" **If I like the face of a girl or the figure of a girl, and if I look at
her
continuously, should that be termed eve-teasing? Should it not? "

"The survey basically means that if I as a male am attracted to a female,
due
to the nature of our society, I am not supposed to show it. I wonder what
kind of society is this, and where we are heading ourselves and the future
generations to. Are all attractions and feelings to be just kept under the
wraps forever?"
*
Perhaps your questions could find a place in these links:

Street Tales of Love Lust and Possible Misinterpretations:
http://blog.blanknoise.org/2009/08/street-tales-of-love-lust-and-posisble.html

Annie Zaidi:
http://blog.blanknoise.org/2009/08/tale-of-lovelustwhateveritwas.html#links

Shreyasi Kar:
http://actionheroes.blanknoise.org/2009/07/blank-noise-action-hero-shreyasi-kar.html

Testimonials
http://actionheroes.blanknoise.org/

Testimonials / thoughts from men on the issue of street sexual harassment:
http://bnguy.blanknoise.org/
*
*Thanks,
Jasmeen+ Hemangini