[Reader-list] On the death of the Internet awki (Rakesh Iyer)

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 17:04:47 IST 2009

Some thoughts. Random thoughts. Perhaps uneducated thoughts.

Whatever Amartya Sen or Gandhi may or may not say, the 'rich' should be encouraged to spend; spend as much as they can; encouraged to spend within the country. That is one good way of spreading wealth with some degree of 'trickle down'

To 'tax' expenditure is foolish economics. "Conspicuous Multiple Taxation" only encourages 'avoidance of declarations', 'benami transactions', 'hoarding of currency', 'flight of capital' and 'unproductive investment such as in gold-bars'.

"Wasteful consumption" would be pertinent for such "sustenance elements" as "food". The 'rich' cannot consume 'food' beyond a certain limit which is no different from the 'non-rich'. 'Food shortages' arise out of mismanaging 'inputs for agriculture', hoarding by 'Private' traders and mismanagement of Regulatory Pricing; Procurement; Stocking; Distribution by the State. Inability to 'buy food' even when available has nothing to do with 'consumption' by the 'rich'.

Other inputs for "Decent Living' such as Clothes, Residence, Sanitation; Healthcare, Education, Employment have very little to do with how much the 'rich' consume of those elements.

Availability of two other elements needed for "Decent LIving", Water and Electricity could perhaps be affected by how much of those the 'rich' consume. I wonder though to what extent if (perhaps) not more than 5% of the population could possibly indulge themselves in being able to afford 'excessive wasteful consumption'

Enterprise and Entrpreneurship should be encouraged. Regulatory mechanisms should ensure that there is a 'level playing field', that Profiteering is not resorted to, that Cartelisation is not allowed, that there is Fair Pricing (not hostage to Demand/Supply influences), that there are Fair Wages (not hostage to Demand/Supply influences)

Kshmendra