[Reader-list] fwd:An Open Letter to Hon'ble Prime Minister

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 11:11:36 IST 2009

Hi Rakesh,
              There seems to be a little misunderstanding in what I wrote and what you interpreted.I never said that Afzal "was not attacked and Modi was", I used the word Parliament attackee deliberately so as not to invite unnecessary posts from persons who get worried as soon as a muslim name appears somewhere.
2. I think we are not above the knowledge level of Supreme Court judges. It is very strange that you write that facts on which the charge sheet was based were of dubious nature and still the Supreme Court decided to punish the accused and gave a decision to hang him.The review petition, to the best of my knowledge, was also dismissed by the SC.If people do not have faith in the highest court of the country just because the accused happens to be a muslim,   even more reasoning will not change this perception. I have been closely associated with the working of the judiciary and do not find any fault with the SC. The court never acts on perceptions, but on facts of the case and for the same facts of the case, the judges do differ. Whether right or wrong, the SC gives a finality to the cases and we have to respect the judgements.Fair criticism can always be made.
If I say it bluntly, even a paanwalla says during cricket matches" Saale Tendulalkar ko wo shot nahin maarna chahiye tha, bweqoofi ki usne aur hara diya India ko" .So a paanwalla knows more cricket than Tendulkar.So people like you and me know laws better than the experienced SC judges who have put their lives in interpreting the laws.You would be listening to similar comments about teachers by the students.I agree nobody is divine on this earth and anyone including judges can err, but my feeling is erring collectively would be very rare.
3.Even on judges' assests, I have different views than yours. Have you seen persecution of Chief Justice Sabharwal whose son had a shop in a Mall and it was alleged that he gave judgment on illegal constructions in Delhi to benefit his son? What a shameless accusation? There will be no dearth of such accusations once the assets are declared by the judges.
Nothing personal pl. I still admire your views.
Regards,

(A.K.MALIK)