[Reader-list] ..and these newspapers say Australians are racist

Sudeep K S sudeep.ks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:23:13 IST 2009

Dear Kshemendra,

'Racism' is a broad term, and in this context, it refers to the cartoonists'
definition of 'ugli'ness.

Someone who does not look like 'our women' (the fair, and with whatever
features that consitute 'beauty' in our people) gets classified as 'ugly'.
This is not far from the discrimination and disrespect that Asians/Africans
face for being 'dark-skinned' by fair-skinned people, or the deregatory
'South Indian / Madrasi' tag that some of us have to live with in Delhi.

If you want more help on this, there is a cool 'racism primer' avilable on
the net. Incidentally, this one is also a cartoon strip, and guess what,
this was pubished by the European nations in their effort to raise awareness
about racism.

See the complete strip here:

"What? Me? A Racist?"
http://www.unc.edu/depts/europe/conferences/Veil2000/multicult_france99/cartoon_raciste_en.pdf