[Reader-list] ..and these newspapers say Australians are racist

Karthik Natarajan karthik.natarajan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:05:01 IST 2009

hi.i complete agree with you. we are racists. but i dont think its because
jug suraiya made fun of mayawatis statue making romp. but because you were
looking for a racist/casteist and gender-insensitive comment in a cartoon
strip that may be a little over the top funny. i wonder if you would still
call it racist/casteist and gender insensitive, if say advani would have
erect these statues and the cartoon strip was made with him instead of her?

the strip,, makes fun of mayawatis feeble shot at immortalizing herself in
indian political history, by means of a series of staues. i wonder how she
is justifying this move morally? is the state doing so well that we are
spending obscene amounts of money on cosmetic efforts and not aesthetics. i
dont think this wil be like the bruce lee of mostar for lucknow? <
http://www.reason.com/news/show/33300.html>. it could have the exact
opposite effect if that.

who is to benefit from these statues? does a resident care if he sees a
statue of a deceased/alive politician on the way to work each day? or is his
life going to be better because of this move? does this help the unemployed
and the homeless? have our politicians become this insecure of their place
in time that they have to resort to such meaningless moves?

tho' i agree with the idea that indians are racists, and we shall be
racists, unless we stop making issues of things as trivial as cartoon
strips, and bearded students in school and head scarves. 62 years after
independence if we cannot focus on better things i think we should seriously
rethink our strategies and more so our representatives. calling them leaders
would just be demean the idea of democracy.

i sincerely hope that in the future, we shall stop being so paranoid about
such non issues and look at progress as the only issue.

best,
karthik.

2009/9/16 Sudeep K S <sudeep.ks at gmail.com>

> http://blog.insightyv.com/?p=738