[Reader-list] 'World Class City' concept & repercussions for urban planning in Asia-Pacific

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 22:33:19 IST 2009

I think the main point of the article was the sheer disregard (and
historically so) of people who have stakes in the such urban development
schemes (long term programmes, shorter time-bound projects..), such as
dwellers, affectees, economic entities at various levels, while the
alternatives actually taken are positively harmful.
What we end up with both through planning (foucaldian), and below/after that
the corrupted attenuation/implementation, are far from the best alternatives
available and what city dwellers deserve.

Since arif hasan has been a consultant to these same institutions for 2.5
decades, i hear him saying they these institutions (along with the govt) are
not going for the better alternatives, and will only be coaxed through
popular and community activism.

KK and Prem, i think you'll agree that the point is being made for these
times, but certainly popular revolt through pre and post colonial history
have served as correctives to royal and colonial policies.

best