[Reader-list] This Monday - A Day to Remember : Watch a Movie for The Age of Stupid Global Premier

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Fri Sep 18 08:31:13 IST 2009

On Monday, September 21st, join people around the world in two crucial
events:

1) The Global Wake-Up call--5-minute flash-mobs all over the world

2) The Global Premier of The Age of Stupid, the new climate change
epic.

Join the world in both!

Dear Friends,

Are you ready? The global climate movement is about to get MUCH
louder.

With the one-month countdown to the International Day of Climate Action
approaching, let's get ready to make some noise. Literally.

In less than 24 hours, "Climate Week" begins--7 days of events
surrounding a big UN Climate summit in New York.  The summit's purpose:
to get world leaders on the same page in advance of the crucial UN
Climate Negotiations in Copenhagen this December.  Climate Week will be
a big deal--UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for this emergency
meeting, and both Barack Obama and Hu Jintao will be giving landmark
speeches. I'll be going to New York myself in just a few days, and as I
prepare for the whirlwind of events, one question keeps nagging at me:

At a high-profile, celebrity-studded, media-saturated event like
Climate Week, how can we break through and make our voices heard?

Today I have two answers to that question, and they are both
refreshingly simple. One involves making a phone call.  The other
involves watching a
movie.  On Monday, September 21st, I'm hoping
you'll join me and20people all around the world in doing both:

1) Make a Phone Call for The Global Wake-Up Call

350 and many of our partners in the new TckTckTck campaign are teaming
up for the Global Wake Up Call--a set of 5-minute, distributed
"flash-mobs" designed to put the pressure on world leaders the day
before the big UN meeting in New York.  In cities, towns and villages
around the world, people will gather in public places with their
neighbors and friends, not only to make some noise about climate
change, but to make some calls.  On Monday, September 21st, we will
flood world leaders with phone calls, letting them know that climate
change is a challenge like no other and that the world is sounding an
alarm and it's time to pay attention and wake up.  Join us:
www.350.org/sept21

2) Watch a Movie for The Age of Stupid Global Premier

On the night of Monday, September 21st, The Age of Stupid--the new
big-screen climate change epic--will be shown in cinemas in more than
50 countries.  It will be part of the largest global film premier in
history. It's the largest because YOU are invited--if you can make your
way to a participating theater on Monday, September 21, you will be
part of this historic event. We've all watched the film here at 350
headquarters, and we're convinced that it's jus
t the film the world
needs right now.  As we approach the precipice of climate chaos--and an
=0
Aopportunity to pull humanity back from the brink in Copenhagen--this
fictional epic (with a good sense of humor!) set 50 years in the future
will remind you of how scary and important present-day reality actually
is:  www.350.org/sept21

Here's the deal:  just like every other UN meeting, most of you won't
be there at the negotiating table when world leaders sit down.   But
you CAN influence the outcome through these two easy--and fun--events.
Yup, I said "fun" in the same context as "climate chaos."   On
September 21, all across the planet, you'll be able to see, and hear,
the movement for climate solutions.   I'll be reporting out from New
York next week--and letting you know how we can use this surge in
climate activity as a springboard.

Because after Monday, September 21, you know what happens--the
International Day of Climate Action on October 24--now with new actions
in countries like Bahrain and Burkina Faso, and with new 350 endorsers
like economist Lord Nicholas Stern.

We're so glad you've taken action with us so many times this year. Now
that the 24th of October is right around the corner, we'll be working
around the clock to make it as powerful, creative, and fun as we can.
You've been with us every step of the way, and
 now is the time to
really Step It Up.

Let's get going,

-May Boeve, Partnerships Coordinator, 350.org
(And the whole 350.org team)

350.org needs your help! To support our work, donate securely online at
350.org/donate

350.org is an international grassroots campaign that aims to mobilize a
global climate movement united by a common call to action. By spreading
an understanding of the science and a shared vision for a fair policy,
we will ensure that the world creates bold and equitable solutions to
the climate crisis. 350.org is an independent and not-for-profit
project.

What is 350? 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe
upper limit for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure
carbon dioxide in "parts per million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number
humanity needs to get below as soon as possible to avoid runaway
climate change. To get there, we need a different kind of PPM-a "people
powered movement" that is made of of people like you in every corner of
the planet.