[Reader-list] Further on CMO Pulwama

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:58:13 IST 2010

How?  Unlike Shopian, this case
1. Has a clear victim who is alive and can testify
2. Has a clear culprit who was caught on camera
3. Has at least 2 clear witnesses.
Usually this adds up to open & shut.

> From: Sanjay Kak <kaksanjay at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:24:09 +0530
> To: Sarai <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: Re: [Reader-list] Further on CMO Pulwama
>
> Thanks again, Sonia,
for taking the trouble to draw our attention to the law
> of the land on rape.

Of course, in this conversation I was not trying to
> suggest that the
charge of rape against the CMO Pulwama was not valid. I was
> merely
trying to suggest that to sweep it in the same bag as the Shopian
> rape
and murder of last summer may be a trifle hasty. A more cautious
reading
> could perhaps explain why thousands of people were on the
streets in the
> earlier case, and are not in this one...

Having just re-read your earlier
> post­to which I had first responded­I
had a moment of deja vu.
You say:
"The
> Shopian case was an extremely complicated case, which was
manipulated and
> presented to the world as fact.  Sadly, this group of
well-meaning women are
> not the first to get misled with half-facts and
half-truths in Kashmir."
> wonder whether the case around the CMO Pulwama could not be seen in
the same
> light?

Best

Sanjay

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM, S. Jabbar