[Reader-list] Emergency returns to JNU

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Apr 2 04:58:40 IST 2010

Dear Prakash,

many thanks for posting this. This is a very grave and serious
violation of the rights and liberties of students by the JNU
administration, and must be challenged. It is also totally arbitrary
and a serious break with the tradition of JNU being a venue for
serious discussion. All of us should stand with the JNU students in
ensuring that this gross, unnecessary, undemocratic and totally
arbitrary decision is not allowed to prevail. By doing this, the JNU
administration has only brought public shame on to itself.

Incidentally,I think that there is a provision within the censorship
guidelines that suggests that the screening of a film for educational
purposes (which is exactly what happens within the context of a
university) is exempt from the necessity of having to display a CBFC
certificate. This can be confirmed. if this is the case, then, not
only is the JNU administration's step retrograde, it also becomes
illegal.