[Reader-list] Yasin Malik distributes cash in Sopore, Geelani angry

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:22:34 IST 2010

Old news, Aditya.
Malik gives away Rs 9.4 lakh to encounter victims

Ishfaq Ahmad Shah
Chinkipora (Sopore), March 14: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik Sunday
distributed Rs 9.40 lakhs among the people, whose houses were damaged in
recent troopers action here.

More than 32 structures were totally damaged and some others partially in
army action during the gunfight with militants at Chinkipora, Sopore.

 ³Although the amount donated among the victims is not enough but people
have generously donated for the affected people. The response shown by
people during the fund-raising has proved that we have tremendous passion
towards the struggle,² JKLF chairman said while addressing people after
handing Rs 9.40 lakh to local auqaf for distribution among the victims.

Malik said JKLF has collected more than Rs 12.50 lakh in last nine days. ³I
handed Rs 9.40 lakh to aquaf. Rs 8 lakh are meant for Chinkipora victims, 1
lakh for two families whose houses were damaged in an encounter in November
2009, Rs 25000  to Pervez Ahmad Hajam, who was killed during a shoot-out At
Sopore on January 15 and Rs 15000 to Ramiz Ahmad, who got injured in the
initial round of gunfight at Chinkipora².

He said rest of the money will be distributed among residents of Dadsera,
Tral, whose houses were razed by army recently.

Malik said there is an immediate need to establish Biat-ul-Maal (Charity
Centers) so that affected people could receive instant help at the time of
need. ³If we don¹t help our brethren, they will be disappointed. This will
weaken our struggle,² he said.

Maintaining that international community is pressing for resolution of
Kashmir issue, JKLF chairman said India and Pakistan are being pressurized
to resolve this long pending issue. ³ The inclusion of Kashmiri people in
any result-oriented dialogue process is must. It is our issue and we have
the right to speak about it,² he said.

Malik urged the people, who work for peace around the world, to focus on
Kashmir. ³Peace in sub continent will prevail only when Kashmir issue is
resolved as per wishes and aspirations of people of Kashmir².

JKLF chairman said since the Amarnath land row agitation, the freedom
struggle have undergone a transition. ³We have shunned the violent path and
are now pursuing a non-violent movement. We don¹t want our third generation
to go through the same trauma which we are facing,² he said.

Malik hailed people of Sopore for their contribution and sacrifices rendered
by them for the struggle.

JKLF vice chairman Advocate Bashir Ahmad Bhat and others also spoke on the
occasion.

> From: Aditya Raj Kaul <kauladityaraj at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:02:57 +0530
> To: sarai list <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: [Reader-list] Terrorist Yasin Malik distributes cash in Sopore,
> Geelani angry
>
> Wonder where from Yasin Malik arranged to get cash? Worth
> investigating.

Kashmiri separatists feud for supremacy

*Yusuf Jameel,
> Foreign Correspondent
*

*April 01. 2010*

Link
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100402/FOREIGN/704019
> 949/1135

SRINAGAR, INDIA // The Kashmiri separatist leadership is in disarray
> and an
ongoing struggle for supremacy between factions turned uglier last
> month
when the supporters of at least two of the major players clashed on
> the
streets of Sopore town.

The developments come amid speculation that Saudi
> Arabia could assume the
role of mediator between India and Pakistan, including
> the dispute over
Kashmir.

Supporters of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, the
> octogenarian leader of the Islamist
Tehrik-e-Hurriyat (TeH) party, allegedly
> set upon those of Muhammad Yasin
Malik, the chairman of his faction of the
> Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front
(JKLF), on March 14 in Sopore, 50km north of
> the capital, Srinagar.

Mr Malik¹s group had spent the day distributing cash
> to locals, whose houses
had been damaged in previous violence between
> militants and the Indian army.

Analysts say the TeH viewed that as a
> provocative attempt by the JKLF to win
support in Sopore, which is a TeH
> stronghold.

According to witnesses, Mr Geelani¹s supporters attacked the JKLF
> members
with knives and stones, injuring five. Locals, who said the police did
> not
intervene, chased the attackers away. The following day JKLF
> members
ransacked a TeH office in Srinagar in