[Reader-list] School asks students to use deodorant

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 23:31:17 IST 2010

From
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/mar/230310-juhu-school-students-deodorant-hygiene-lessons.htm

Article by Kranti Vibhute

Don't be surprised if you see a child buying a deodorant, as city schools
are giving them hygiene tips for the summer. The renowned Ecole Mondiale
World School in Juhu has instructed primary students to use deodorants in
classrooms, as they have to sit with others.

The Ecole Mondiale newsletter to parents says, "As the weather gets warmer
we need to think about personal hygiene and the need for regular bathing. As
our students grow we need to remind them about the use of deodorant and how
important this is when in a classroom with others." The school official
refused to comment, but MiD DAY spoke to several schools to know how
advisable it is to suggest primary students to use a deo.

*'Not recommended'*

A parent reasoned, "Since the school is renowned for having celebrity kids
as students, they would demand for such things as well. Though it's not
recommended for small kids."

Hanif Kanjer, director, Rustomjee Cambridge International School, said, "For
hygiene, I would suggest them to take a proper bath everyday, but won't
suggest the use of deodorant, because I think it is only suitable for older
kids, but not for primary students."

Francis Joseph, executive head (Operations and Strategy), Ryan International
School, agreed, "We would give basic tips to the students to follow hygiene
during the summer season, but asking them to use deodorant would be too much
and might create disparity among students."

Swati Jajodia, a parent, said, "I remember one of the schools had kept a
sanitiser for kids, but a child swallowed it by mistake. Hence, I personally
won't recommend any chemicals for my kids just because the summer has
arrived."