[Reader-list] The Naxalites overreached

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 15:09:08 IST 2010

Pawan,

I wonder if you really read and understood what victim's families have to say.

you have posted the news for sure but failed to read between the lines:

here's an excerpt for what you have posted: Deputy Commandant Satyavan
Singh Yadav (46)

But these are deaths they can't comprehend or accept. "Yeh to dhokha
hai (this is treachery)," says Meena's brother Badri. "He was not
fighting an external enemy but his own countrymen who killed him. How
can his death be justified? In this area, most families send one
member to the forces. But if our sons, fathers and brothers have to
die fighting Naxals in poor conditions, we will stop sending our
people," Sumer said.

"The government dithers on policy, saying this one day and something
else the next. And the CRPF means a hard life... how can the
government not know about an ambush planned by more than a thousand
Naxals? How?" Sumer asked.

i have nothing more to say Pawan but only to go back to your iron hand
analogy in dealing with Maoists:

http://www.navhindtimes.in/news/iaf-must-not-be-used-fight-naxals-chief

"The Air Force chief also visualised a scenario if the IAF is called
in. “Let us say that air force is called in for attack in Naxal
locality and it needs to fire a rocket, which is fired at a minimum
distance from 1,500-1,800 metres...From that distance we are not able
to visualise what the target is,” he said. “The basic thing is Naxals
are our own citizens,” he said, when asked if it was time for the
military to join the anti-Naxal operations.
Meanwhile, the Home Minister, Mr P Chidambaram said on Wednesday that
the government may have to reconsider its policy of not using Air
Force in the fight against Naxalites but cautioned against “knee-jerk”
reactions in the wake of the savage Maoist attack in Chattisgarh on
Tuesday. He said there will be no let-up in the offensive against
Naxals."

i rest my case here Pawan. You have every right to have your own point
of view, i shall defend that right but i will never endorse statements
that has been made by you regarding the maoists and the means to
tackle the issue.

anupam