[Reader-list] Rememberance -Jallianwala Bagh massacre

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 10:50:17 IST 2010

@ Bipin: I don't know what this salute being means, since it seems they
acted as a sacrificial tool to engage more people, and therefore were only
of instrumental value, which is not how I see it.

Dear all

It certainly is a moment to remember those who lost their lives due to the
butchery and inhumanity of the British General and his soldiers. In one
single moment, or a few moments, because of the action of a few who were
wrong, lives of many were lost, lives which could have made the world a
better place, lives which could have made the lives of their own family
members and other friends a better one. It was not just against the basic
right to life, it was against the whole philosophy which people have about
their life, and also about the disrespect to others' emotions.

I hope we can learn from it, particularly as we are involved in a fight
against terrorism and also brutalized with problems due to Naxalism. I
sincerely believe there are lessons to be learnt from such barbarity
perpetrated on hapless innocent citizens, and that is that force on
innocents is wrong and should never be tolerated or considered right, be it
by the state (then it was British, today it is Indian), or by non-state (be
it Kasab or by Naxals or even petty thieves).

If we can learn a lesson from this, that indeed will be the true homage paid
to these victims. Let us strive towards this goal, to make our nation, our
whole world, a better place to live in.

Rakesh