[Reader-list] FW: ATTEMPT OF TARNISHING GUJARAT IMAGE

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 14:34:23 IST 2010

Dear Bipin

Any riot tarnishes the image of that place, but our concern should not be
just image (image is a concern, particularly when the place is a tourist hot
spot and because of communal riots or pogroms like Gujarat, Bhagalpur or
Delhi lead to people not going there and tourism sector being hit,
impoverishing the local people).

Our concern should be that the rights of innocents have been trampled upon,
and our efforts must be directed towards securing those rights for those
people. What has Narendra Modi done in the last 8 years in this direction?
Only once did he visit the camps where Muslims had to flee to after the
pogrom, that too when the then PM came visiting the state. Didn't he have
any time to visit the camps? He is supposed to be the Chief Minister of 5.5
crore Gujaratis, doesn't he have time to visit the Gujaratis among whom he
keeps chanting that he is not Chief Minister, but Common Man.

Everybody by the way is talking about Gujarati asmita. Because of the pogrom
he presided over, Indian asmita was under threat and infact torn to shreds.
Infact, Vajpayee and Advani had to save their faces on their foreign trips
as the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister after this pogrom simply
because everywhere they went, this became a matter of discussion. Does India
deserve to get its' asmita torn to shreds because of someone's selfishness
in playing Hindu-Muslim vote bank politics and organizing pogroms?

Isn't Narendra Modi responsible for attacking Indian asmita?

And don't ask questions here about Delhi and Bhagalpur not having attacked
Indian asmita too. They too have attacked, and so has post-Godhra pogrom.
And they can't hide behind that, none of them, because they are all wrongs.

And for me that is still not a concern. The concern is that Sikhs and
Muslims have had to pay with their lives even though they were not
responsible for Godhra or Indira Gandhi assassination.

Rakesh