[Reader-list] NAREGA

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 16:25:58 IST 2010

Bipin,

I doubt your sincerity in posting your views about NREGA. I have no idea
about other states but the scheme here in Gujarat has flopped majorly
because of the apathy of local administration. it turns out that local
administration officials, in regions such as Dahod and Panchmahal, which has
about 70 to 80 per cent of tribal population, did not pay the farmers for 18
months at a stretch. incidentally, in places such as Fatehpura taluka, where
1800 wells have been dug under NREGA, 600 just have water. the local NREGA
officials, which is usually headed by the District Development Officer (in
case of Gujarat) and District Rural Development Agency (under the state
government) who were supposed to see the feasibility of digging by
conducting soil tests and water table checks gave permission to dig up as
many wells as the farmers wished for. after all, it is a payment guarantee
scheme in which 50 percent is cost of labour and 50 percent would be the
cost of material. since the start of the scheme about 3385 farmers from
Fatehpura dug up 1800 wells in the semi arid quartzite soil where in some
places people have to dig as 100 feet to get water. so deep because, there
was a steady decline of the water table in this region and lack of
substantial rainfall in the past two years. in december, 3385 farmers under
NREGA workers' union filed a complaint to the Dahod district collector
asking why there were no payments for the wells which were being dug.

after the district developmental official lodged an enquiry into the matter
it was found that the two local sarpanchs, one lokayukta, two taluka
development officials, one bank manager (according to a police complaint
filed at the Fatehpura Police Station) was involved in removing names of at
least 1000 farmers from the rosters. in some villages, for example, Dungar,
farmers had actually pawned their lands so that they can pay for the other
workers. this proves that how popular is the scheme. Dahod district in
Gujarat which is considered as one of most underdeveloped taluka in India
according various reports, has 30,000 workers working for this scheme says
the DDO of Dahod.

Can i not infer it is because of the lack of support from Gujarat government
as local administration officials  are turning it upside down by not paying
the NREGA workers? But i would not because the some of these officials
especially in adivasi dominated regions take advantage of their innocence
and rob them everyday. it has nothing to do central/state divide or NDA/UPA
divide.

You have not studied any of the organizations which are implementing this
scheme in India. I recommend that you go through the scheme and understand
its finer points then come back with your conclusions.

thanks anupam