[Reader-list] NAXAL BRUTAL TERROR

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Apr 17 16:08:58 IST 2010

Dear All,

A wall was certainly built. It was a wall built out of the paper of
Forestry Acts and Memoranda of Understanding with Mining Companies.
They paved the way for many other kinds of walls. These paper walls,
much more powerful than any wall of bricks or mortar, made people
homeless in their own space. It was written on the paper walls that
the dweller in the forest was an intruder. One day, she picked up
firewood from the ground, the next day she did the same, one day she
was a forager, the next day she was a thief. The words on the walls
separated those two days from each other.

Then came the sentries, and the high priests of the words that were
written on the paper walls. Forest guards came, then paramilitaries
came, then came police and armed thugs to protect the paper wall. To
man the watchtowers. To tell the forest dwellers that they must stay
outside the wall, for their own good. Then came the TV channels and
the patriots and the NGOs and the experts. They all admired the wall.
No one said the wall needed to come down. Some tried to improve the
handwriting on the paper. Some argued about the font size and
italicization. Others said the papers needed to be copied and
distributed.

The inhabitants of the forest looked around for a method to rebuild
their homes that had been broken by the words on the paper walls.
Some of them tried to fight words with words. Some petitioned. Some
of them tried to lay seige to the consciences of others. None of this
worked. Some words were heard, understood, others were dismissed, not
listened to.

The paper wall grew stronger, deeper, thicker. Their words grew
louder. The forest spoke. The forest sang. The forest warned. The
forest cried. The forest whispered. The forest screamed. But the wall
did not listen. And those who built the wall laughed out loud,
thinking that paper was cement. That ink was stone. That their word
was law.

This meant that they (the people of the forest) had to take down some
of the watchtowers. This meant that when words failed, they found
their way to guns. It seemed that when the guns spoke, the people
manning the watchtowers listened. And so, when the guns came to them,
the forest dwellers did not say no to the guns. They no longer had
the words with which they could afford to say 'no, we do not need the
guns'. Perhaps, if those who had built the wall, had listened, the
guns that came to the people in the forest would have found no use.
If you hold a gun, you stand in the line of fire. No one wants to be
in the line of fire for no good reason. Right now.The wall needs to
be taken down for any conversation to begin again.

Tear the paper that carries the MoUs, and maybe there can be some
talking. So take the wall down. And the guns may fall silent. Words
may begin again.  Or try and keep the wall, and invite the war to
spread its cloak of silence. You don't need more development in the
forests, perhaps you need less. At least less of the kind that is
written up in the MoUs.

If the war crosses the forest and comes to the fields, if the war
comes to the cities, it will be because the paper walls multiplied.
Then those who wrote the words that made the paper walls rise will
answer for the war. After all, they did not have to build the paper
walls in the first place. They could have chosen to listen, when
there was still time to listen. They might then say that they were
sorry, but people may have forgotten the meaning of forgiveness by
then. Guns have a way of making people forget how to speak and to
listen. If the words you write on the paper walls you build bring
guns into the conversation, then many other words will eventually die.

Try and listen for a change. Don't always think that your word is
law.There may still be time.

best

Shuddha