[Reader-list] Da'rryl Durr on the death penalty

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Thu Apr 22 12:53:14 IST 2010

site, go to http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/20/darryl-durr-death-penalty

 > Da'rryl Durr on the death penalty
 >
 > In a telephone call from death row, Da'rryl Durr describes capital
punishment as 'murder by the state'

 > Erwin James
 > Wednesday April 21 2010
 > The Guardian
 >

 > http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/20/darryl-durr-death-penalty
 >

 > "We don't say a prisoner was executed, we say he was murdered by
the state," says Da'rryl Durr, speaking from Ohio State Penitentiary
in Youngstown. He was there on formal deathwatch until Monday, when he
was transferred to the state's maximum-security facility in Lucasville
to await his execution.

 > Durr, 46, had been placed on Ohio's death row on 10 January 1989,
for the murder of 16-year-old Angel Vincent. When I spoke to him on
the telephone last Saturday evening, he had less than 72 hours to his
time of execution.

 > Vincent was discovered missing from her home in Elyria, Ohio, when
her parents returned from a night out on 31 January 1988. Just 20
minutes earlier her mother, Norma Jean O'Nan, had spoken to her on the
telephone; Vincent told her that a friend, Deborah Mullins, was in the
house with her. Mullins, she said, was waiting for her boyfriend,
Da'rryl Durr, to arrive.

 > Several days later, Vincent's mother confronted Mullins about her
daughter's whereabouts. Mullins suggested she had probably "run away".
Three months later, on 30 April, Vincent's decomposing remains were
discovered by some boys playing in a local park, though they were not
immediately identified.

 > After examining the remains, the deputy coroner concluded that the
remains were those of a young girl who had died as a result of
"homicidal violence". The extent of her decomposition made it
impossible to ascertain if there had been any ligature marks, scrapes
or skin tears, but the deputy coroner declined to rule out
strangulation, citing the flexibility of the internal cartilaginous
structures of the victim's neck. Due to the severe infestation of
bacteria present on the remains, testing for the presence of
spermatozoa was also inconclusive, rendering it impossible to confirm
whether or not Vincent had been raped.

 > Durr was charged with her murder five months later. Following his
arrest for two unrelated rapes ? to which he pled guilty on the advice
of his lawyers, but then later denied ? Mullins went to the Cleveland
police and told them Durr had murdered Vincent. X-rays on the body in
the park then confirmed the remains to be those of Vincent. Durr stood
trial and, although there was no physical evidence to connect him to
the crime, he was, on the sole testimony of Mullins, found guilty of
aggravated murder, rape, robbery and kidnapping. He was sentenced to
death and placed on Ohio State Penitentiary's death row.

 > There appear to have been some racial overtones in the case against
Durr. He is African American. Angel Vincent and Deborah Mullins are
white, as is Durr's former common-law wife Janice. At a later review
of the original trial's verdict and sentence, Durr's attorney William
Lazarow attempted to have the original trial judge, William
McAllister, taken off the review due to remarks he was alleged to have
made in chambers while the jury were considering their verdict. Durr's
trial lawyer Jerry Milano signed a sworn affadavit in which he stated
that McAllister said he "wanted to see [Durr's] nigger ass in the
chair for messing with white women". The judge denied making any such
comments, but Milano stands by his statement. The request to have
McAllister removed was denied. A policeman in the case also told
Durr's stepfather that he didn't like him because he looked "like
Martin Luther King".

 > Despite several appeals and hearings, Durr remained on death row.
Yet he appears to have used his time in prison in as constructive a
manner as the limitations of his existence would allow. He taught
himself law, then volunteered to advise and assist other prisoners in
legal and civil matters, helping imprisoned fathers to establish and
preserve their parental rights. He staged a hunger strike in his early
years of imprisonment, to get the cells on death row cleaned and
painted, and has made numerous donations to a children's charity that
raised funds through the selling of craftwork. Durr also embraced
religion and encourages others to lead a spiritually healthy life.

 > I ask Durr how the other prisoners "on the row" react when an
execution has taken place. "There is a grieving process. Some guys
fast," he says, "others give away money. Some go into a self-imposed
solitary confinement, not wanting to talk to anybody. They won't talk
to guards, won't talk to other prisoners. They get traumatised.

 > "These are people that we live around ? you get to know each
other's families, their life stories. You learn how damaged people are
when they come to prison ? but you also see how guys change and make
growth in their lives while you have known them. By the time the state
murders that man, you wonder: what was it all worth?"

 > Durr's voice is measured and dignified, which I find remarkable for
a man within hours of being strapped to a gurney and given a lethal
injection. He knows I am a journalist, but expresses no bitterness or
anger. I ask if he thinks he has grown in prison. Is he the same man
he was 22 years ago?

 > "Of course not," he says, assuredly. "Change is inevitable. But
growth is optional. I have studied law, religion, history and people.
But I try to communicate with people on a level that I might be able
to make a change, not only in my life but in their lives."

 > He tells me it has been important not to stagnate on death row. "If
there is a difference that you can make in the life of another person,
you want to make that difference. After I have spoken to you, I want
to feel that I have taken something from our conversation and it has
made me a better person ? and I want to leave you the same way."

 > After 22 years of confinement, I find his calm reasoning
impressive. "If there is something that enriched you from our
conversation that you can share," he says, "then please let people
know there is humanity even in these places."

 > I have read of his claims of innocence, but now, speaking to him,
knowing what he faces, I am embarrassed to ask if it's true. Yet I
feel I should, to give him a chance to say it out loud. I take a deep
breath and ask him outright. "Yes, absolutely," he says without
hesitation. Clearly I am speaking to an intelligent, empathetic,
rounded human being. The idea of his life being wilfully extinguished
fills me with dread. "You should know that it is really not about any
issues you have," he says. "If you have bad judges, it doesn't matter
if you are innocent or guilty."

 > Durr then tells me about a fellow death-row prisoner, who
maintained his innocence for 15 years. The state refused to DNA-test a
piece of evidence: blood on a tennis shoe that he said was his, and
not the victim's, as argued by the court that convicted him. Finally,
the test was allowed and he was proved right. Yet no court would allow
his appeal. If the then governor of Ohio had not granted the prisoner
clemency, he would be dead. Instead, his sentence was commuted to life
without parole. "This is what happens in the state of Ohio," Durr says.

 > Last year, Durr asked for DNA-testing on biological material
belonging to Vincent. This was allowed and the test came back
negative. Officials then refused a second test, saying the first test
only came back negative because the evidence was old and had been
mishandled. The second test related to Vincent's necklace. Though
records show it has never been out of police custody, that too is said
to have been mishandled ? the DNA test was denied.

 > In a last-minute attempt to stay his execution, Durr's lawyers
submitted the argument that he was allergic to the anaesthetic used in
the administration of the lethal injection. They needed more time,
they said, to investigate his medical records. "My lawyers have filed
with the judges," Durr says, "but it's the same three judges who threw
out my earlier claims. You can expect that they will deny me again."

 > How does he feel towards Vincent's family? "I would hope, if they
think I did this and harmed their family, that they could forgive me.
I understand their pain, their loss, having suffered the same thing
myself ? and I'm sorry, I really am. I maintain my innocence, but that
doesn't negate the pain they feel and I'm sorry for their pain. I
really am."

 > I ask how his society, the people of Ohio, feel generally about the
treatment of people in his position. "I think they support the process
as they are led to believe it operates. People are given a candy-
coated version of what a prisoner's life is like. But the average
citizen will never experience it. If more people actually knew what
one year, two years, three years of prison life was actually like, I
think more people would be appalled. They would press politicians and
other people in society to make effective changes in prison
conditions, so we wouldn't have the reoffending rate that we have, or
the intra-prison violence.

 > "In America, they spend more money incarcerating people than they
do on educating people. You're talking almost $2m to murder someone on
death row. If they took that money and gave you 30 years to life or 20
years to life, they could use the rest of the money and educate five
people who want to go to college."

 > Finally, I ask Durr why the state insists on killing people; what
they think it achieves. (There have been 37 executions in Lucasville
since 1999 ? with one a month scheduled for the next 11 months.) But
it is too late for him to answer. Our time is up. "I'm sorry," he
says, "this will probably be our last call."

 > Except it wasn't. Durr was transferred to Lucasville on Monday,
after all his appeals were turned down. The same day, the governor of
Ohio, Ted Strickland, refused his appeal for clemency, and on Monday
night the supreme court rejected his lawyers' application for a stay.

 > But this morning, I was allowed to make a final, brief call to
Durr, two and a half hours before he was due to be killed. This time
when he picks up the phone, his voice is deep and sombre. "Hey," he
says, "how's your spirit this morning?"

 > I tell him I was thinking about him, and it isn't good. I ask if
there is anything else he would like to say.

 > "Yes," he says. "Please give my love to everybody that supported me
and tried to help me. And when you write about me, do me a favour and
please ? are you familiar with St Paul's treatise on love?" I tell him
I am. "Tell them that's what I believe: in faith, hope and love ? and
that the greatest of these is love."

 > Da'rryl Durr was killed by lethal injection [http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/darryl-durrs-allergy-claim-fails-delay-execution/story?id=10420538
" title="ABC News: Death Row Allergy Claim Fails to Delay Darryl
Durr's Execution] today, right on schedule.

guardian.co.uk user help desk: userhelp at guardian.co.uk.

 > guardian.co.uk Copyright (c) Guardian News and Media Limited. 2010
 > Registered in England and Wales No. 908396
 > Registered office: Number 1 Scott Place, Manchester M3 3GG
 > Visit guardian.co.uk - newspaper website of the year
 > www.guardian.co.uk www.observer.co.uk
 >
 > To save up to 33% when you subscribe to the Guardian and the
Observer visit