[Reader-list] FW: Gujarat Governor returns bill on voting

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:18:17 IST 2010

Rakesh and others,

The bill has been questioned not because it might encourage forced voting or
any of the presumptions that critics have cited previously but the
contradictions lie within the system of elections in Gujarat.

I think Bipin, despite vociferously defending Gujarat, has not been able to
say anything on the system of Samras. I am reproducing an article published
in this regard:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/narendra-modis-samras-scheme-has-chinks-galore/449446/2

Published on April 21, 2009

*NGO study shows majority of panchayats under the scheme have not
internalised its essence*

Is Narendra Modi’s much-hyped Samras (Consensus) Scheme, which was intended
to harmonise and smoothen the democratic process at the village level,
negating its own raison d’etre for manipulative politics? An NGO study of
the scheme hints at that.

The Samras Scheme provides for the unanimous selection of a sarpanch of a
village panchayat instead of electing one. The idea behind the scheme is to
do away with conflict and disagreement of any nature in the villages. The
state government asserts that the scheme removes enmity in a village.

An analytical study of the scheme by a network of NGOs like Marag and Mahila
Swaraj Abhiyan (MSA), which have been working in the field since the
inception of the scheme in 2006, has revealed some of the major pitfalls of
the scheme. The study was conducted in about 200 Samras villages across 12
districts (Dahod, Panchmahals, Anand, Surendranagar, Sabarkantha, Kutch,
Surat, Amreli, Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Patan and Bhavnagar).

Under the scheme, a Samras village with a population above 5,000 receives an
incentive of Rs 1 lakh, while villages with a population between 5,000 and
15,000 receive Rs 1.5 lakh as incentive money. A village that appoints a
woman draws an incentive of Rs 7 lakh. Moreover, a village that goes the
Samras way for the second time receives an additional 25 per cent over the
incentive money.

The study included 40 all-women panchayats (22 in Ahmedabad, 15 in Baroda
and 3 in Kutch), while 95 percent of the women chosen in Samras never went
to the first meeting after taking charge and were not aware of the
incentive. Nearly 84 per cent of the marginalised group (Dalits and
adivasis) do not believe that elections cause confrontations or competition.
This is against the logic of the scheme.

No less than 32.3 per cent members of the marginalised group said that they
wanted to stand for elections, but could not due to Samras. The place where
the decision of the Samras was taken was pointed out to be the temple by
15.8 per cent and the sarpanch’s home by 97 per cent of members of the
panchayat body. While 75.8 per cent of the marginalised group was aware of
the decision being taken at the temple, only 8.5 percent knew about meetings
held at the sarpanch’s house.

Thirty three percent of the panchayat body members and 32.3 per cent of the
marginalised group members said that the Samras Scheme was adopted for
financial benefit. Nearly12.4 per cent of the panchayat body and 4.2 per
cent of the marginalised group believe that the reason was due to no
elections in many years. Interestingly, none of the panchayat members said
that the reason was to contain power within a certain community; 14 per cent
of marginalised group believe so.

Only 13.4 per cent panchayat body and 20 per cent of the marginalised group
believe that Samras is held to avoid disputes, while 20 per cent of
panchayat body members are clueless about the reason.

When contacted on Monday, Principal Secretary (Panchayat and Rural
Development) Varesh Sinha told Newsline, “I have not seen the survey report
so I cannot comment on it.”

ENDS

Isnt it ironical that Gujarat government which ran this scheme across the
state was implementing a structure where the elections were deemed
redundant?

-Anupam