[Reader-list] 'Kashmir: cri de coeur' by Seema Kazi

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 09:48:04 IST 2010

True, comparisons are slippery indeed, but often they come to mind
when we happen to fall in a desperate situation, Never mind if  they
are biased. The dying man is free to use anything. If kashmir is
suffering, it is because of logjam political/historical situation.
Something should be done to address it. Of course bad players like
Pakistan and Anglo-American will play spoil sport, but India should
make an effort and let them be how they want to be. For the last 20
years India has played the Kashmir game as badly as America has played
Iraq or Afganistan etc. again the comparisons are slippery, but...

  Quite difficult to suggest the nature of WHAT in  Kashmir ...

There are many places in the world where  minorities ( both ethnic or
otherwise ) feel trapped and  sometimes the demand to carve a new
territory becomes violent. Who will legislate about the nature of
violence if there is chain reaction of events. Well we condemn
violence anyway, and so should any saner voice. Stone-pelting is new
phenomenon in kashmir and may be large number of security foreces in
kashmir should bend their back to remove all the stones from roads and
lanes and fields. It will be a good exercise to know the texture of
earth on ground.

The question is about the territory. I remember, not big name, an
artist who made a dog in fiber glass with his one leg up, gesturing
his desire to urinate. It was titled TERRITORY. Only animals mark
territory we know, but we human beings should be free from that
burden, unless we stoop as low as dog habits to fight for a dry bone
even. Here the level of violence in animals is logical but with us it
is simply horrid.

So, unless we give a fresh understanding to  the definition of '
territory' we will kepp on taking sides and i believe, we will often
fail to know the final beneficiary.

with love
is

http://indersalim.livejournal.com