[Reader-list] More Kashmir comes out....

shuddha at sarai.net shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Aug 9 11:47:50 IST 2010

Dear All,

For the benefit of all those who do not have access to the Devnagari script on
their computers, or cannot read Hindi. let me briefly translate what Mr.
Rashneek Kher has forwarded from this morning's edition of the Amar Ujala
Newspaper. I hope Mr. Kher will correct any mistakes in my translation, and
forgive me for undertaking to do what he should have done while forwarding this
post.

---------------

Six Pandit Families Leave in Terror
http://www.amarujala.com/city/CityDetail.aspx?id=1063&cid=143

Srinagar, August 09, 2010

Troublemakers have begun targeting minorities in Kashmir. There has also been
an increase in incidences of stone pelting of the homes of minorties. As a
consequence, six Kashmir Pandit families belonging to the Habba Kadal and
Downtown areas of Srinagar have left Kashmir.

People from outside Kashmir having businesses in Srinagar have also received
threats. Representatives of the minorities have met with the Hurriyat leader
S.A.S Geelani to express their concerns.

There are 2845 persons belonging to 662 Kashmiri Pandit families living in 182
places in the Kashmir valley, even after the exodus of 1990.

Sardar Kaen Singh of the Amira Kadal Gurdwara (Sikh Temple) Committe has said
that 'anti social elements' have thrown anonymous pamphlets asking Sikhs to
either join the protests in the valley, or leave. These 'secret letters' have
been thrown in Sikh Temples at Tral,Aulchi Bagh and Mehjoor Nagar. The 'secret
letters' will be handed over to Government Agencies.

People from outside Kashmir having businesses in Srinagar have also received
threats. Representatives of the minorities have met with the Hurriyat leader
S.A.S Geelani to express their concerns.

Mr. Vinod Kaul of the All Migrant Co Ordination Committee has said that the
families who have fled were living in a climate of fear. Dr. Agnishekhar has
said that the government that makes claims about the return of Pandit families
should learn something from this. Mr. Raman Bhalla, minister of Revenue in the
Jammu and Kashmir Government has said that he knows nothing about this.

------------------

Firstly, Amar Ujala is a newspaper well known for its communal biases. Time and
again, the paper has been indicted by independent voices for its role in
formenting communal tension. Secondly, it is no secret that papers like Amar
Ujala have a glorious record, of being the mouthpieces of the intelligence
apparatus. Notice, the absence of a single 'alleged' (in Hindi, 'Tathakathit')
in the entire report, and the conflation of disparate facts. We read that
minority homes have been targetted by stone pelters. We are not however told
whether or not the six families who have left Srinagar lived in houses that
were attacked by Stone pelters. A large number of Kashmiri muslim families have
sent their children away from Kashmir at this juncture, primarily because young
people are the targets of the security forces firepower. Several such young
people were present at the sit-in at the saturday evening Jantar mantar that i
reported on, on Sunday. Their numbers are considerably higher than the 'six
families' mentioned by the Amar Ujala report.

Morover, if this story had any credibility, then its sources would be named,
and also, it would be picked up by the other media organizations, including
Indian Express, the Hindu, and the major TV Channels, all of which have a
sizable presence in Srinagar, and who, by no means, are sympathetic to the
'stone pelters' cause.

I would caution everyone on this list to be careful of being swayed by the
inevitable orchestra of misinformation that will now begin kicking in.There
will be deliberate attempts to communalise the situation in Kashmir, to
terrorize the remaining Kashmiri pandit families in the valley through a
calibrated campaign of insinuation, staged incidents and misinformation. This
is an old and tired trick, and we must all ensure that it does not succeed.

What is particularly refreshing in the current wave of protests in the valley
is the absence of any secterian colour. There will be concerted efforts made by
the intelligence agencies to sabotage this fact.

Every report that comes out of Kashmir should be weighed and assessed very
carefully. The Amar Ujala report is a sign.

I am grateful to Mr. Rashneek Kher for delivering to us, an early warning.

best

Shuddha

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 10:44:01 +0530 rashneek kher <rashneek at gmail.com> wrote

> *Under Separatist Threatening Kashmiri Pandits leave the valley* -
> http://www.amarujal
> a.com/city/ CityDetail.
> aspx?id=1063&cid=143<http://www.amarujala.com/city/CityDetail.aspx?id=1063&ci
> d=143>
>
>   *दहशत में छह पंडित परिवारों
ने किया पलायन*

> Story Update : Monday, August 09, 2010    12:47 AM
>
> श्रीनगर। घाटी में
उपद्रवियों ने अल्पसंख्यकों
को निशाना बनाना शुरू कर दिया
> है। अल्पसंख्यकों के घरों में
पथराव की घटनाओं में भी इजाफा
हुआ है। नतीजतन
> घाटी से छह कश्मीरी पंडित
> परिवारों ने पलायन कर लिया है।
> हब्बाकदल और डाउन टाउन
> से ताल्लुक रखने वाले इन
> परिवारों ने १९९० में पलायन
> नहीं किया था। उपद्रवी सिख
> समुदाय को भी भारत विरोधी
प्रदर्शनों में शामिल होने के
लिए मजबूर कर रहे हैं।
> गुरुद्वारों में धमकी भरे
पत्र फेंके जा रहे हैं। इनमें
लिखा गया है कि भारत
> विरोधी प्रदर्शनों में शामिल
> नहीं हुए तो घाटी छोड़नी
> पड़ेगी। बाहरी राज्यों से
> श्रीनगर में कारोबार करने
वालों को भी घाटी छोड़ने की
धमकी दी गई है।
> अल्पसंख्यकों के एक
> शिष्टमंडल ने कट्टरपंथी
> अलगाववादी नेता सैयद अली शाह
> गिलानी
> से भी मुलाकात की है।
> आमीरा कदल गुरुद्वारा
प्रबंधक कमेटी के अध्यक्ष
सरदार केएन सिंह का कहना है कि
> असामाजिक तत्वों ने त्राल,
औलची बाग सहित मेहजूर नगर
गुरुद्वारों में यह गुप्त
> पत्र फेंके हैं। इन पत्रों को
जल्द ही सरकार को सौंप दिया
जाएगा। घाटी में १८२
> अलग-अलग जगहों पर रहने वाले
> ६६२ कश्मीरी पंडित परिवारों
> के २८४५ सदस्य दहशत भरे
> माहौल में रह रहे हैं। आल
> माइग्रेंट कोआर्डिनेशन कमेटी
> के अध्यक्ष विनोद कौल का
> कहना है कि पलायन करने वाले
> परिवार दहशत के माहौल में रह
> रहे थे। डा. अग्निशेखर
> का भी कहना है कि पंडितों की
वापसी का दावा करने वाली सरकार
को इस घटना से सबक
> सीखना होगा। राजस्व मंत्री
रमन भल्ला ने कहा कि उन्हें अभी
तक कोई सूचना नहीं
> मिली है।
>   *दहशत में छह पंडित परिवारों
ने किया पलायन*

> Story Update : Monday, August 09, 2010    12:47 AM
>
> श्रीनगर। घाटी में
उपद्रवियों ने अल्पसंख्यकों
को निशाना बनाना शुरू कर दिया
> है। अल्पसंख्यकों के घरों में