[Reader-list] Another man spreading lies

shuddha at sarai.net shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Aug 11 00:31:33 IST 2010

Dear Kshmendra,

A hair line fracture of the skull, if it occurs without an accompanying
subdural hematoma, is not something that we would call a 'broken skull'. And
no, it is not critical.

My issue with Ayyaz's report is not so much the extent of the boy's injuries,
(any injury to the skull is something that anyone should take seriously, even
if it is not critical, and is should of course get immediate medical attention)
but in the discrepancy in his reporting a stone pelting mob, and the news that I
heard, that there was no stone pelting mob, that a stray stone, perhaps lobbed
by some miscreant, did hit the boy, but there was, in what I was told, no mob
of stone pelters. And the people who told me this, spoke with the boy's family,
and with the doctor who treated him.

The difference between the presence and absence of a mob makes one hell of a
'Rashmonesque' difference.

The main point that I would like to emphasize is that the doctor who treated
the boy at the Trauma Centre at SKMS Soura also said that he has had to treat
136 cases of injury due to violence in the past few days, of which this boy was
one, the huge majority of those injuries, did not come from stones, they came
from bullets, tear gas shells and batons. And we know whose hands wield those
weapons. that is the context to the boy;s injury that Mr. Fayyaz fails to let
us in on. And that is why, it is a classic 'processed story'. I am sure you get
my drift.

best

Shuddha

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 07:14:13 -0700 (PDT) Kshmendra Kaul
<kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com> wrote

http://aafayyaz.blogspot.com/2010/08/12-year-old-critically-injured-in-stone.