[Reader-list] Aladdin and the soap sellers of Bombay cinema

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 08:53:29 IST 2010

Dear friends
Greetings from Tasveer Ghar, the house of images.

In our continuing series based on the Priya Paul Collection of popular
Indian art, we are happy to announce two new exciting image essays
curated by well known scholars, on the following links:

1. Still Magic: An Aladdin's Cave of 1950s B-Movie Fantasy
By Rosie Thomas
http://www.tasveerghar.net/cmsdesk/essay/103/

An essay based on the cinema lobby cards and other images related to
the 1950s fantasy movies from Bombay.
The author, Rosie Thomas, is Director of the Centre for Research and
Education in Art and Media (CREAM), Co-director of the India Media
Centre, and Reader in Art and Media Practice at University of
Westminster.

2. Selling Soap and Stardom: The Story of Lux
By Sabeena Gadihoke
http://www.tasveerghar.net/cmsdesk/essay/104/

The story of Indian cinema actresses appearing on soap advertisements
over the years, especially the Lux beauty soap.
The author, Sabeena Gadihoke, is Associate Professor of Video and
Television Production at the AJK Mass Communication Research Centre at
Jamia University in New Delhi and is also an independent documentary
filmmaker and cameraperson.

We would be delighted to hear your views on these and all our previous
essays and features.

Thanks for your support.

Christiane Brosius
Manishita Das