[Reader-list] Phoolka not to quit '84 cases

Aditya Raj Baul adityarajbaul at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:33:51 IST 2010

Phoolka not to quit '84 cases

New Delhi July 22, 2010

Senior advocate H.S. Phoolka on Wednesday decided to defer his
decision to quit the legal battle on behalf of the victims of the 1984
anti-Sikh riots cases.

On Tuesday, Phoolka had decided to withdraw his appearance from all
such cases after allegations of deriving personal benefit. He had said
he was "disgraced, hurt and humiliated". "The Jathedar of Akal Takht
Sahib urged me to continue," Phoolka said.

"Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee president P.S. Sarna has
been summoned to the Akal Takhat on July 26 to explain the issue," he
added. On July 17, Sarna and his brother had alleged that Phoolka had
charged Rs 1.09 crore from the committee.

Phoolka denied the allegations.

"The committee paid me Rs 15,000 in 1985. I haven't received any money
after that," he said.

He added that the allegations were a conspiracy to shield guilty
Congress leaders by distracting him from the riots cases.

In his allegations, Sarna had pointed out that DSGMC had spent Rs 1.09
crore on the ongoing administrative expenses on the team headed by
Phoolka when he appeared before the Justice G.T. Nanavati Commission
that was set up to investigate the riots.

Print   Close
URL for this article :
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/106236/India/Phoolka+not+to+quit+'84+cases.html