[Reader-list] ANHAD seeks apology from BJP for appropriation of a Kashmir Protest Image

gowhar fazli gowharfazili at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 08:36:51 IST 2010

Wonder if anyone has access to the advertisement.  This would be interesting.
 The drama is endless.

http://www.risingkashmir.com/news/anhad-seeks-apology-from-bjp-553.aspx

ANHAD seeks apology from BJP

Rising Kashmir News
Srinagar, August21: Shabnam Hashmi, managing trustee of ANHAD, a
Non-governmental organization, has written a letter to Bhartiya Janata Party and
expressed shock over the usage of a photograph of an ANHAD demonstration by BJP
in its “Kashmir Bachao Divas” which was organized by BJP today at Mavlankar
Auditorium, Constitution Club, New Delhi.

“I am absolutely shocked to see a BJP advertisement issued in the Indian Express
on 20.8.2010 and Navbharat Times on 21.8.2010 wherein a photograph of an ANHAD
demonstration at Jantar Mantar, New Delhi held on 8.7.10 has been misused,” it
was written in the letter sent by Hashmi to BJP President,Gadkari.

ANHAD, was formed in 2003 in response to the hate ideology of the Sangh Parivar
displayed during the Gujarat carnage of 2002, is an anti communal organization.

“To use our photograph in your advertisement is not only an insult to ANHAD, but
it also grossly defames our organization because it seems to suggest that Anhad
has given the consent to BJP to use the photograph of its demonstration. Nothing
could be further from the truth.
“The demonstration organized by ANHAD was specifically regarding the excessive
acts of violence by the security forces in Kashmir.  This is in total contrast
to the BJP meeting which is unconcerned about the plight of the people of
Kashmir and looks at the issue as a law and order problem and calls for even
more severe repression by the use of security forces,” the letter read.
ANHAD in the letter said that it is highly defamatory, illegal and unethical on
part of BJP to use its material without any permission and criticized BJP for
the “total ideological bankruptcy.”

“We call upon the BJP to issue an advertisement of equal size in all the
newspapers in which this advertisement has appeared apologizing for the use of
that photograph and stating therein that ANHAD and the persons who are shown in
the photograph have nothing to do with the BJP,” the letter read.