[Reader-list] 'The Islamism bogey in Kashmir' & Mridu Rai

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 20:56:17 IST 2010

Regarding Mridu's piece,
I think that is is not entirely logical to try to tie  the current practices or
actions of individuals and groups to their history. Any ideology, no matter how
it originated or even came to be defined, undergoes changes ; and I believe that
the way a certain ideology manifests itself in the present , is something which
may owe more to the exigencies of the present  than to the circumstances of its
inception, and such a fluid identity, though ephemeral , does not become a
candidate for being discarded, at least no more than the historical identity ,
as a predictor for future practices and actions of those groups.
Thanks
Rahul