[Reader-list] PUT ARUNDHATI IN JAIL ON SEDITION CHARGES! HURRAH!

shivam at kafila.org shivam at kafila.org
Thu Dec 2 00:36:05 IST 2010

While one feels angry and sad that Arundhati Roy, Shuddhabrata
Sengupta will have to run the rounds of the courts (and the case for
sure is weak given the case law on sedition), one must applaud Roy,
Sengupta and others for taking the stance they did, for speaking what
they believed in, not once but again and again over the years, despite
knowing that some nut will one day try and do this. I think all of us
who are not with these nuts should salute their courage.

Having said that, I think in the coming days one will also have to
thank these nuts for doing this - imagine the amount of publicity it
will further give t their views, imagine the international uproar
about free speech in India, imagine how this will make people the
world over discuss the issue of Kashmir's demand for azadi even more.
So, thank you!

shivam at kafila.org | Delhi