[Reader-list] Mourning for Varanasi

kamalhak at gmail.com kamalhak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:25:33 IST 2010

Shuddha,
I join you in mourning for Varanasi. For me any act of terrorism irrespective of the perpetrators' identity deserves to be condemned unconditionally. Having been a victim of faith driven terrorism myself , I sympathize with all sufferers of this mindless dance of death.

Having said this I doubt if mere condemnation or political rhetoric and the usual police cliche will ever lead to a serious effort required to eliminate this menace from the country.  I believe the perpetrators of these dastardly crimes are mere indoctrinated carriers while their masters plan the diabolical moves firmly enconsed in the belief that the in any eventuality of accusations, civil society will lend them a moral support in the name of freedom of expression. They also feel emboldened to carry on with their machinations, confident in belief that any loud voice against them will immediately be suppressed as that of a 'bully.'
I am also amused at the threats issued to the people who raise their voice against the Kashmiri separatists. I believe Kashmiri separatist leaders will be feeling embarrassed by being linked with the threat to a section of displaced Kashmiri Pandits. It doesn't suit their politics, which runs two contradictory streams between what runs through their minds and what flows in their hearts. In any case it would be interesting to see their response at the 'insinuation'. It be also interesting to see how their supporters in rest of the country react to the threats to Pandits.

In the end I need to express we, probably, need to rise about accepted positions, biases and prejudices to dispassionately argue about the realities behind these acts of terrorism.

Regards.
Kamal Hak
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel