[Reader-list] Digvijay's revelations on Karkare

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:48:40 IST 2010

for those who want more of Aziz Burney kind of news....

----
Two hours before 26/11 attacks, Hemant Karkare called me to say his
life under threat: Digvijay Singh
Seema Chishti

In a startling revelation days after the second anniversary of the
Mumbai terror attacks, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has
said that two hours before the first terrorists struck that evening,
chief of the Maharashtra ATS Hemant Karkare called him to say that his
life was “blighted by constant threats” from those opposed to his
probe into the Malegaon blast in which Hindu extremists were accused.

Karkare was killed by the terrorists that evening. Days later, then
Minorities Minister A R Antulay had to quit after he said that Karkare
could have been a victim of “terrorism or terrorism plus something.”
Speaking to The Indian Express today, Digvijay Singh said: “On
November 26, 2008, at 7 pm, just about two hours before the attacks in
Mumbai started, Hemant Karkare, the slain ATS chief rang me on my
mobile and told me how his family and his life were blighted by
constant threats from people annoyed by his investigations into the
Malegaon blasts.

“Woh pareshaan the (he was worried), and he told me he was trying to
trace the calls, but was depressed and worried by threats and personal
attacks made in their newspapers. Karkare also told me that he was
hurt that in a paper, the mouthpiece of a Hindu right-wing
organization, allegations were being made that my son was minting
money in Dubai, when in reality he was only a school student in
Mumbai.”

Singh said he knew Karkare as his family was associated with
Chhatarpur in Madhya Pradesh (Digvijay Singh’s home state too and
where he was Chief Minister for 10 years).

He said that Karkare’s father was posted as a railway officer before
moving to Nagpur and they often talked.

“I was so shocked and demoralized on being told of his death in the
attacks in Mumbai late at night on November 26, that my initial
reaction was, ‘Oh God, they have killed him.’ It was only later that I
found out about other events taking place in the city on that dreadful
day.”

On December 6, Singh had shared these revelations with the audience at
a function to launch RSS ki saazish — 26/11? (26/11, an RSS
conspiracy?) authored by Aziz Burney, editor-in-chief of Urdu Sahara
newspaper.

Present at the function were Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha K
Rahman Khan and three MLAs from Delhi, Shoaib Iqbal, Chaudhry Mateen
and Asif Mohammed Khan. Also present were leading lights from the
clergy Maulana Mahmood Madani from the Deobandi sect, Maulana Touqir
Raza Khan from the Barelvi sect and Shia leader Kalbe Jawwad.

The moderator was noted Akhtar-ul Wasey, director of the Zakir Husain
Institute of Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia University.

In his book, Burney writes: “It was on November 12 (this year) after I
heard Digvijay Singh at Nagpur, powerfully denounce the theories of
former Chief of the RSS, K Sudershan on the Congress president Sonia
Gandhi and other things, which were an attempt to stop investigations
into the alleged involvement of people linked to the RSS, that I was
inspired to put all my pieces together on this subject and air this
suspicion fully that in fact Karkare’s assassination was plotted by
people associated with the RSS to stop him from unmasking the face of
RSS-inspired terror...If Karkare had not been killed, he would have
possibly unveiled the entire terror network and not just names of
certain individuals, trying to turn India into a Hindu rashtra through
violence.”

Currently, Burney is part of the press team travelling with Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh to Belgium and Germany, and said he would
“elaborate when he gets back”.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/two-hours-before-26-11-attacks-hemant-karkare-called-me-to-say-his-life-under-threat-digvijay-singh/723183/0