[Reader-list] PSBT TO FUND UPTO 100 DOCUS - DEADLINE EXTENDED

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Mon Dec 13 18:15:23 IST 2010

Dear Filmmaker,

Due to numerous requests, we have extended our deadline for proposals
to 20th December 2010 and have tweaked our call for proposals. Those
who have already submitted proposals do not have to submit a fresh one.

We are inviting proposals for independent documentary films of 26 and
52 minutes duration. There is no formal commissioning brief and
proposals are invited on any theme representing the filmmaker's
passions and interest. Films for the Public Diplomacy Division of
the Ministry of External Affairs will need to focus on appropriate
subjects and a treatment that will project India’s image abroad in
subtle and nuanced ways. These will draw upon India’s civilisational
heritage, its relevance to the modern world and the elements of
contemporary India that make it a rapidly emerging world power.
We expect to commission:
1. Approx 52  films shot on HDV/ DVCAM of 26 min. and mastered on
DVCAM, in partnership with Doordarshan.  Two final master copies in
DVCPro will need to be provided for Doordarshan and the rest on DVCAM;
2. Approx. 35 films of 26 min or 52 min. shot on HDV/ DVCAM,  mastered
on DVCAM, in partnership with the Ministry of Information and
Broadcasting;
3. 5-7 Films on HDV/ DVCAM in partnership with the Public Diplomacy
Division of the Ministry for External Affairs, some of which would be
in full HD. The latter will be by invitation to projects we consider
having the potential to be screened overseas on television. We are open
to co-productions under this Grant. Essentially, this will involve a
sharing of rights between the co-investor/producer(s), PSBT and the
filmmaker. Details can be worked out on a case to case basis upon
approval of proposals in principle.
Filmmakers are invited to submit budgets for HDV/ DVCAM. Filmmakers
will be provided a maximum of nine months to complete the Film.
Proposals from Filmmakers who are currently working on films for PSBT
will only be considered if their films are complete at the time of the
evaluation of proposals, in January 2011.

Out of its commitment to expand the constituency of independent
documentary filmmakers in India, PSBT particularly encourages
filmmakers who have not worked with us before to submit persuasive
proposals that will convince our Trustees about their abilities and
passion, both for filmmaking and the theme they wish to explore. We
will strike a balance between filmmakers who have delivered quality
work to us before and those who have never worked with us before,
first-time and experienced filmmakers, those from different parts of
India, etc.
Note: An important, interesting or significant subject does not
inherently make for a great film. This usually depends on the ability
of the filmmaker, the intellectual rigour and clarity with which the
subject is approached, the creative treatment and the passion for the
theme.  Our Trustees look primarily for these elements, along with a
reasonable budget, etc.

For more visit - www.psbt.org or write to us at proposals at psbt.org

Contact: 011-41826115 (NOTE OUR NEW TELEPHONE NUMBER)