[Reader-list] I am this Land - A video Contest / INTER SCHOOL DRAMA FESTIVAL / 48 Go Green:An International Eco Film Competition

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Wed Dec 22 09:54:44 IST 2010

About I AM THIS LAND

I AM THIS LAND is a response to a year of divisive rhetoric; it is
Breakthrough’s call for a more positive and open-minded future for our
country. The new year provides the opportunity to celebrate our
diversity and recommit to building a society that values dignity,
equality and justice.

Join us by making a video http://iamthisland.org/make-your-video/  that
uses the phrase I AM THIS LAND, and share your hopes for diversity and
acceptance in the U.S.

You can also participate via Twitter!
http://iamthisland.org/make-your-video/twitter/

Our President and CEO, Mallika Dutt, said it best: “It’s been a year of
remarkably angry and divisive rhetoric, and I believe that many people
in America are ready for a more positive attitude toward diversity,
acceptance and equality.”

To participate, contestants can submit their videos
http://iamthisland.org/make-your-video/

and fans across the country will view, discuss and rate each
submission. Finally, a panel of high profile independent judges will
watch the Top 10 videos as voted by the public and 5 selected by
Breakthrough and select the winners.

Breakthrough will also select a winning Twitter post on diversity,
written by someone following @Breakthrough that is tagged with
#iamthisland.org. Videos will be judged for overall impact through
messages, narrative, call to action and creativity, as will the Twitter
posts. http://iamthisland.org/make-your-video/twitter/

I AM THIS LAND partners include Activision (makers of Guitar Hero and
DJ Hero), Change.org, WITNESS, Parlour Magazine, Hollaback,
Mobilize.org, HeadCount, Women’s Media Center, The Fbomb, See3,
Therapy, Latina Lista, 20,000 Dialogues and Vivir Latino. The top
winner receives a grand prize of $2500 and a Skype call with an Academy
and Emmy-nominated filmmaker, Activision music games including Guitar
Hero, Band Hero, DJ Hero.  Additional prizes include DJ Hero, tickets
to hit Broadway musical Mamma Mia and more. For full details, contest
rules, and prizes, please visit www.iamthisland.org.  For more
information about Breakthrough, please visit www.breakthrough.tv

--------------------------------
    INTER SCHOOL DRAMA FESTIVAL

Ever since the popular  British Council School Drama Festival has been
taken over by partners it has opened huge possibilities for students
who wish to take up theatre as higher studies in the UK. Currently, the
festival run in collaboration with Central School of Speech and Drama
(CSSD), UK, gets supported by a host of commercial sponsors such as
Coal India, Selvel, The Park, Sixth Sense and others making it a
"must-participate" event for all schools in and around West Bengal.

This year, the festival was a smash hit from the word "go". Nearly 44
schools vied for the top six positions battling it out at the semi
finals for over four days. Finally, it was a delight to see at least
four new schools among the top 6 who put up their 20-minute
extravaganza(s) before a 1,100 strong crowd.

The partners contributed wholeheartedly to the project. While Coal
India sponsored laptops for the winners, Selvel put up nine huge
billboards in the city and The Park came in as hospitality partner
sponsoring a press conference and a business lunch for media and
partners. Sixth Sense helped organise the event. The media coverage has
been phenomenal. Almost all leading newspapers such as Times of India,
Telegraph, Hindustan Times, The Statesman, The Bengal Post and others
have carried the news with pictures.

The schools which put up their plays this year were Birla High for
Boys, Army Public School, St Helens, Techno India Private School, Bidya
Bharati and Sri Shikshayatan. The themes varied form climate change to
cultural diversity and social tolerance. Noted film and theatre actors
Kaushik Sen and Churni Ganguly readily agreed to be judges along with
CSSD's Bruce Wooding, while noted film star Moon Moon Sen flew down
from Chennai to give away prizes to the winners.

Apart from the prizes, the winners also won weeklong theatre courses in
CSSD London. School teachers also win a certficate course training in
theatre by CSSD at their respective schools next year. Last year too,
four students from Kolkata, India were awarded places on Central School
of Speech & Drama's Youth Theatre for Actors programme.

Bruce Wooding, Central’s Head of Professional and Community Development
said, 'This festival offers a unique opportunity for Central to share
ideas and knowledge with local educators. Theatre and drama can be used
to enhance the learning experience of every student. Students will be
exposed to "collaborative competition”, enabling them to realise their
potential in areas such as strategic thinking,

For more details on School Drama and its partners, contact Samarjit
Guha, Head Programmes East India British Council ,
Samarjit.Guha at in.britishcouncil.org

48 Go Green:An International Eco Film Competition ,
http://www.48hourfilm.com/competitions/gogreen/

Registration begins Tuesday, December 28th.

We think that 48HFP filmmakers, the boldest and most creative in the
world, are the best people to draw attention to the environmental
challenges the world faces. To that end, we have created a new 48HFP
competition: the 48 Go Green!

Just like the 48HFP, the 48 Go Green challenges you to make a narrative
short film in only 48 hours, writing, shooting, and editing it. But, to
mix things up, this challenge has some slightly different rules than
the 48HFP.

Environmental Themes. You will be randomly assigned a theme for your
film which has to do with the environment. The themes are: animals,
drinkable water, energy, forests, the next generation, the oceans, or
the planet as a whole.
No genre assignment. You get to pick your own genre--just notify us
which one you picked when you turn in your film.
Elements. We will still provide you with a character, prop, and a line
of dialogue which must appear in your film.

In-Person Competition

We will have in-person kickoffs and dropoffs and premier screenings in
these cities:

Atlanta
Boston
DC
Houston
Los Angeles
New York
Portland (Oregon)
San Francisco
Only 30 teams per city will be accepted, so register early!

On-Line Competition

If you don't live near those cities, you will be invited to participate
on-line. Filmmakers will receive their assignments via email. After
making your film you will upload it to our Go Green website.

Prizes

The grand prize winner receives $5000! Second place recieves $2000, and
third place receives $1000. Winners will screen at the Cannes Short
Film Corner and at NABShow in Las Vegas. Three finalists will receive
travel to Las Vegas.

Registration

Registration begins Tuesday, December 28th. The registration fees are:

On-line competition

- Early bird registration: 100 USD (before January 11)
- Regular registration: 135 USD (between Jan. 12 and Feb. 1)
- Late registration: 150 USD (after February 1)

In-person competition

- Early bird registration: 140 USD (before January 11)
- Regular registration: 160 USD (between Jan. 12 and Feb. 1)
- Late registration: 175 USD (after February 1)

Brought to you by...

The 48 Go Green is brought to you by the 48 Hour Film Project in
association with the creators of the Athens 48 Go Green, Francesco
Vitali and Christos Siametis; and award-winning filmmaker, author, and
environmental activist Sebastian Copeland (
,http://sebastiancopelandadventures.com/)  director of Into the Cold. (
http://www.intothecold.org/)