[Reader-list] [Announcements] Ten Years of Sarai

Mitoo Das mitoo at sarai.net
Thu Feb 4 12:51:23 IST 2010

*TEN YEARS OF SARAI
*
Dear Readers,

The Sarai Programme at CSDS will be a decade old in February, 2010. To
commemorate this, we have programmes planned for the second week of
February, with the final event on 12 February 2010.
On 8, 9 and 10 February 2010 we have an Asian Video Art Festival curated
by Tim Crowley. On 9 February, we have a Dastangoi performance. On 12
February, we will present a day long event, with an exhibition, book
launches, talks, projects, and discussions.

The detailed programme schedule is given below.

Warmly
Mitoo Das
Programme Coordinator

------------------------------

*Ten Years of Sarai- Sub Events
*
8th, 9th and 10th February 2010
*Asian Video Art Touring Festival "25 Reasons We Still Need Superman"*
- Tim Crowley
Venue: Seminar Room, CSDS
Time: 4pm (daily)

9th February
*Dastangoi Performance *
- Mahmood Farooqui/ Danish Husain
Venue: CSDS Lawns
Time: 6 pm

------------------------------

12th February
*Ten Years of Sarai- Main Event
*
*Opening
Introduction: A Decade Later*
Venue: Sarai Interface Zone
Time: 2:00 pm

*Tinker.Solder.Tap*
Amitabh Kumar/ Bhagwati Prasad will present the graphic novel.
Discussant: Lawrence Liang and Pao Collective
Venue: Sarai Interface Zone
Time: 2:15 pm

*Tea*

*City as Studio*
The City as Studio process.
Presentations of Sarai City Studio Associate Fellows
City as Studio digital platform goes public.
Venue: Sarai Interface Zone
Time: 3:15 pm

*The City as Studio Exhibition Series*
Presentation of a year long exhibition design.
Venue: Sarai Interface Zone
Time: 4:00 pm

*Tea*
(CSDS Lawns)

*Launch of /Trickster City/* (Penguin, India)
Readings by the authors and the translator.
Venue: CSDS Lawns
Time: 4:15 pm

*Tea*

*Welcome *
Shail Mayaram, Director, CSDS
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 5.30 pm

*Release of the Hindi Translation of
/Disenchanted Night: The Industrialization of Light in the Nineteenth
Century/*
(/*Betilism Raat*/) (Vani Prakashan)
Readings by Sanjay Sharma and introduction to translation programme by
Ravikant, editor of the series.
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 5:45 pm

*Launch of /Sarai Reader 08: Fear/*  (Sarai-CSDS)
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 6.15 pm

/*The Melodramatic Public: Film Form and Spectatorship in Indian
Cinema*/ (Permanent Black, Ranikhet, and Palgrave, London)
Ravi Vasudevan introduces his forthcoming book, with image and short
excerpts.
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 6.30 pm

/*Pirate Modernity: Media Urbanism in Delhi*/ (Routledge, London, New
York, Delhi)
Ravi Sundaram introduces his new book with image and short excerpts.
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 6:40 pm

/*Seepage*/ (Sternberg, Berlin/ New York)
Raqs Media Collective introduces their new book, with image and short
excerpts.
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 6:50 pm

/*BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies*/ (Sage, India)
Introduction to a new journal on film and cultural studies by Ravi
Vasudevan.
Venue: Seminar room
Time: 7:00 pm

*Ashis Nandy on Sarai's Decade*
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 7:15 pm

*Looking Forward*
Venue: Seminar Room
Time: 7:45 pm

*Refreshments*
8:00 pm onwards

------------------------------

Tim Crowley is an independent curator from the United Kingdom and is
presently curating a travelling video art show all over Asia. After
completing a successful stint in China, he will now be showcasing his
video show in India, starting off with Delhi at Sarai.

Mahmood Farooqui is a writer, actor and a Dastango. He single-handedly
revived the lost art form of storytelling "Dastangoi." Farooqui also
contributes opinion pieces to India's leading newspapers and magazines.
He has just completed a book on the 1857 uprising in Delhi. He has also
directed a 30-minute documentary on Habib Tanvir, titled Dancing at 80:
Habib Tanvir's Naya Theatre.

Danish Husain is a leading theatre artist and has worked with some of
the best names in Indian theatre.
Since 2006, Husain has collaborated with his friend Mahmood Farooqui to
revive the lost form of storytelling, Dastangoi. In addition to his work
as an actor and performer, Husain is also a poet. His work has been
published in Indian, Canadian and South African literary journals.