[Reader-list] Body scanning violation of Sharia

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 16:40:29 IST 2010

Dear Javed

I could not help smiling. You are right. We often get into cutting the nose to spite the face not realising that blood-loss is bringing in death.

Following comments are not directed at you. Only prompted by your mail.

Whether Muslim, Hindu or whichever religious-animal or religious-mob it is, they should stay away from interfering on such matters that are secular both in opting to introduce and in their application.

Would we rather want stringent security checks on the basis of religious or racial profiling? Would we prefer intrusive full-body-search/frisking?

"Full-Body-Scanning" does sound very foreboding. There would be two legitimate concerns:

Pt1. Does it bombard the body with harmful Rays? Will frequent exposure be detrimental to health?

Pt2. Is a person rendered nude to whoever is monitoring the scan?

The FCNA Fatwa endorsed by the Darul Uloom, Deobandh shows concern over Pt2.

Available information suggests that there is no  'nude' image of a person going through the Full-Body-Scan. It is a very nebulous image.

The post by Pawan Durani mentions: "At Amsterdam's Schipol Airport, the scanners are retrofitted with software that only projects a stylised human figure on to the computer rather than the actual body image,"

In fact (I was once told) a not-so-well-meaning smart X-Ray technician could manage getting an image with a silhouette of the body, contours and all.

I guess that is why Maulana Khalik has said. “Such things can be allowed only and only if it comes up to be a matter of life and death".

Another way of looking at it is that it is in fact a "matter of life and death" for many if the "Full-Body-Scan" will be an effective tool and is not a Health-Hazard.

The link from BBC had this interesting comment:

-  "I frequently pass through scanners at Russian airports, such as Moscow and St Petersburg.     I have to say I actually find the whole process more dignified.   It is also a vast improvement on the regular process and circus you get in UK airports, which involves removing belts, coats, shoes and so on.     You also avoid the issue of people setting off the metal detectors and having to pass through repeatedly until the offending item is found.    The only concern in the back of my mind when travelling frequently is what the health risks might be, if any." (NICK, ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA)

Kshmendra