[Reader-list] use of "visually impaired" to abuse

Tara Prakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:03:23 IST 2010

I think I missed the mail which Kshmendra is responding to. Oh yes, this
guys gets filtered out of my inbox.
But I would like moderators to be watchful. There are people who are using
insensitive abuses towards a specific community. Even though blind/visually
impaired do not fall within the dominant structure of backward, in fact
disabled people have been kept out of it for political purposes, they have
right to remain as sensitive to discrimnatory language as the other other
groups discriminated against by the society.
Calling someone who ignores or do not understand a mail or some parts of it,
"visually impaired" is abusive as it associates blindness with foolishness.
My fear is that if people are not stopped from using insensitive language
towards a section of the society, that has as much right to command respect
as any other group, the future mails on this list may get worse. I don't
like people being called blind/visually impaired to abuse as much as I don't
like people being called bhangi, chamar, katva, hijra and other insensitive
terms which are part of everyday lexicon on the streets in India.