[Reader-list] Fw: ∮QAM∮ Queer Nazariya 2010

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 1 13:56:49 IST 2010

apologies for cross-posting

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: sophie parisse <sophie.parisse at gmail.com>
To: queerazadimumbai at googlegroups.com
Sent: Fri, 1 January, 2010 1:39:57 PM
Subject: ∮QAM∮ Queer Nazariya 2010

QUEER NAZARIYA
international LGBTI film festival, Mumbai
in collaboration with Majlis
25-28 March 2010

Dear fellow queers, feminists, filmwalas, friends!
We are very happy to announce Queer Nazariya, an international queer film festival on
gender and sexuality.
As you all know, on 2 July 2009 the LGTBI communities in India celebrated
the Delhi High Court ruling which read down Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code,
decriminalising consensual sexual acts between adults of the same sex. It was
sweet victory after decades of struggle. This milestone judgement opens the
doors towards social and cultural acceptance and holds out the promise of a new
era of freedom for marginalised sexualities and genders in India.
With the judgement being challenged in the Supreme Court by a handful of
people, and the unprecedented media attention being given to queer issues, we
felt this was the perfect time to have a festival of queer films in Bombay.

We want Queer
Nazariya to enablethecoming together
of LGBTI individuals in a safe and affirmative space.Very few of us in India, queer or straight, get
any exposure at all to non-heteronormative narratives or representations. Films from
different countries will help us understand specific political and
cultural realities; at the same time they will serve to affirm what is
universal across geographical boundaries.

We also want to reach out to a more general audience, in order
to address the prejudices and stereotypes that continue to linger in many
people’s minds: homosexuality is dismissed as a western import; gay and lesbian
people are hypersexualised, or seen as sexual predators; our sexual preferences
or varied gender identities are seen as illness or, worse, perversion. And so we plan, along with the screenings,
to have discussions
around a few key issues, and alsoshowcase some queer art and
memorabilia.

The festival’s focus will be onindependent filmmaking, both documentary and short
fiction, on works that operateoutside the compulsions of the mainstream.

Queer Nazariyais being done in collaboration with Majlis, the
well-known centre for multi-disciplinary art initiatives.
We’re absolutely relying onALL OF YOUto make the festival a
success, so mark these dates nowin your calendars, diaries and  year planners, and save them in your minds!
You must be there with us, to watch
films and discuss stuff, to sing and dance and party – because celebrationsare, of course, part of the deal.

We’re also going to need volunteersin the days before and during the festival, so all offers are very welcome
– give us a day, two days, an afternoon, whatever you can of those invaluable
commodities called Time and Support.

with warm wishesfor the
new year,
Sophie Parisse and Smriti Nevatia
Curators,Queer Nazariya 2010

contact: qnazff at gmail.com
http://queernazariya.weebly.com
--
"To know more about Queer Azadi, click the link below"
http://queerazaadi.wordpress.com