[Reader-list] Support for Nayana Kathpalia and Neera Punj

Chandni Parekh chandni.parekh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 11:49:53 IST 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
*From:* Deepak Tralshawala <dtralshawala at yahoo.com>
** <vil.silva at gmail.com>*Sent:* Sun, January 24, 2010
*Subject:* Support for Nayana Kathpalia and Neera Punj

Dear Friends,

This one is going to be very brief. I have never corresponded with you
before, and have taken the liberty of doing  so by taking your addresses
from various e-mails that I have received. I take it that like many of us,
you too are citizens concerned by the decay in our public life. I do
apologise if you do not like mails like these and request you to write to me
accordingly, so that I do not trouble you with such mails.

Yesterday’s papers tell us that Mumbai’s scum (the city ought to have been
more appropriately re-named Scumbai) are now targetting Neera Punj – within
*just a fortnight* after shots were fired at Nayana Kathpalia’s residence.
Both these ladies who live close to one another have devoted themselves to
improving our surroundings. Both are a-political, neither of them is
anti-hawker (both have spoken of co-existence with the hawkers, but in a
disciplined and regulated manner), and neither has any axe to grind. All
that they are concerned with is preserving for us and posterity the
fast-dwindling parks, gardens and open spaces from maurauding government
agencies sponsored by unscrupulous persons, for which they have filed a PIL.

The increasing attacks on activists clearly show that

·         Activism has made an impact and that the scumbags are desperate

·         The police are apparently clueless about the identity of the goons
(so much for their *khabri *system!)

·         The judiciary once again is a beacon of hope.

But there is something that *WE* can do. We can express our solidarity by
just telling these ladies that they are not alone – that we are with them. I
do not know these two remarkable ladies, but have read a lot about the
dedication with which they have slowly gone ahead with their plans for open
spaces. I can say from personal experience that nothing works better for
your morale when threatened by goons than an expression of solidarity and
togetherness. My sincere request and suggestion is that no matter where you
live, please write a word of encouragement. For those who are hampered by
lack of time I would suggest the following draft. Please modify it,
re-structure it, express the sentiments in your own words, but please do
write:

“Dear Nayana and Neera,

I am distressed to read about the threats to you. This is to tell you that
we are with you.

Yours sincerely,

XXX “

Their e-mail IDs are:

 Nayana.kathpalia at gmail.com

neerapunj at hotmail.com

PLEASE FORWARD THIS REQUEST TO YOUR FRIENDS, WITH A REQUEST TO FORWARD IT TO
THEIR FRIENDS.

Sincerely,

Deepak Tralshawala

*deepaktralshawala.blogspot.com*