[Reader-list] Muslim leaders condemn the attack on Kerala academician

Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:39:57 IST 2010

Muslim leaders condemn the attack on Kerala academician
Press Statement: They have clearly sinned and defamed Islam by
committing this crime which we condemn without reservations
The Milli Gazette
Published Online: Jul 05, 2010

New Delhi (5 July 2010): We strongly condemn yesterday's violent
attack and chopping off of the hand of Mr T. J. Joseph, a lecturer in
Ernakulam District of Kerala by some miscreants on the pretext of
taking revenge for Joseph's act of blasphemy.

We feel that law was taking its due course against the said lecturer
for his misdeed and he was already suspended from his college for a
year due to his insult to the Prophet of Islam by replacing the word
"madman" in a quote with that of "Muhammad" while preparing an exam
paper for the students of his college.

Those who attacked Joseph forgot that the Prophet of Islam, upon whom
be peace, in his own life had pardoned a Jewess who used to throw
garbage on him and when she did not do so one day, the Prophet
enquired about her and upon being told that she is ill, went to wish
her early recovery and good health. The Prophet forgave the people of
Mecca after its conquest although they had pained him, expelled him
from his hometown and had waged war against him for years. We find
that the attack on the Kerala lecturer is against the basic tenets of
Islam and the Sunnah of the Prophet which emphasis on forgiveness.
Islam explicitly forbids taking law and order into one's hands in the
presence of competent authorities to deal with an issue.

We hope that law will take its due course to punish the criminals who
attacked the professor. They have clearly sinned and defamed Islam by
committing this crime which we condemn without reservations.

Dr. Manzoor Alam,

Secretary General, All India Milli Council

Mohammad Jafar,

Naib Ameer, Jamaat e Islami Hind & Acting President, All India Muslim
Majlis-e Mushawarat

Dr. Zafarul-Islam Khan

Former President, All India Muslim Majlis e Mushawarat & Editor, The
Milli Gazette

Niaz Farouqui

Secretary, Jamiat Ulama e Hind

Navaid Hamid

General Secretary, Movement for Empowerment of Muslim Indians (MOEMIN)
& Member, National Integration Council

http://beta.milligazette.com/news/3-muslim-leaders-condemn-the-attack-on-kerala-academician