[Reader-list] Valley Facebooker’s Under Scanner

Aditya Raj Baul adityarajbaul at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 19:46:42 IST 2010

Valley Facebooker’s Under Scanner
Police Summons Users in Islm’bad:

Wasim Khalid
Srinagar July 11:
http://www.risingkashmir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24924&Itemid=1

After imposing curbs on media, the authorities have now started
scrutinizing face book users in valley who they claim are
“instigating” people against the state.
To begin with, the police are identifying people in South Kashmir’s
Islamabad district where some people have been summoned to police
station.

The face book users, who have been charged by police, alleged that
they have been asked to report police stations since they have been
booked.

“I received a call Saturday evening,” a face book user, who was booked
by police In Islamabad town, told rising Kashmir. “The person wanted
to meet me. I mistook him as my friend. I told him we can meet after
strikes and curfews are over”.

As the face book user declined to meet, the caller insisted he should
come to lalchowk (Islamabad).
“Or else he said he would come to my home,” the Facebook user said.
Later, on inquiring by the user, the caller identified himself as a
Police officer.

“He told me an FIR has been registered against me in Islamabad police
station,” the face book user said.
The Facebook user said he was told that he was charged of “provoking
people” for doing anti-state activities.
“Police officer told me you are very active on Facebook. And you are
uploading images and videos that instigate violence against state,”
the user said.

After half an hour, the user said, he received another call from
Station House Officer Islamabad Police station.
“He told me that FIR has been registered against me,” the user said. “
I got shocked, I told both the officers I was writing and uploading
truth. There was no images or text that could have instigated
violence”.
>From then onwards, the user evading arrest.

“I am not reporting to police station since they would at least keep
me detained for six days” he said. “Somebody told me they have slapped
harsh acts against me. The acts incriminate me in waging war against
state”.
The facebook user said apart from him few more people have also been
called by police.
The incident has raised a widely held suspicion in Kashmir that
Facebook was being monitored by police and other security agencies

SSP Islamabad Showkat Malik when asked about the face book scrutiny
said, “ I have no idea about it”.
The Facebook is a very popular social networking site which provides
people a platform to exchange and share ideas and upload pictures and
videos.

In the past three weeks of curfew and strikes, the Facebook has helped
people to remain in contact and share their personal experiences in
the form of texts and pictures on the internet sharing site.

The authorities have already imposed curbs on media. The journalists
on Monday held a sit in to protest against the government decision.
“The government claims that restrictions have been lifted on media are
hoax,” the journalists said.