[Reader-list] mini pakistan

Syed Yunus delhi.yunus at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 17:18:44 IST 2010

Dear all,

I would like the group to reflect upon the concept of 'mini Pakistan' ( in
India). this phrase is used sometimes to define Muslim ghettos so that
neutral people take side  about a communal issue.

precisely i want to know about your feelings when you hear it.

thanks,

Yunus

On 7/30/10, Javed <javedmasoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some people didn't believe in such a news when I posted earlier:
> -----------------
>
> The banking woes of an “excluded” community
> Vidya Subrahmaniam
>
> Banks have designated red zones where the vast majority of Muslim
> clusters fall. This fact is confirmed by the rash of banking-related
> complaints received by the National Commission for Minorities.
>
> A little over a year ago, Ali Arshad, a resident of Okhla in Delhi,
> went to a well-known private sector bank to open a bank account. He
> thought his case would be fast-tracked because he had a banking
> background, he worked with a well-known investment and brokerage
> company and he had the necessary documents: A passport, a pan card and
> a house rent agreement notorised on stamp paper.
>
> He still has not heard from the bank. The manager of the branch
> informally told him that his passport showed a Patna address and the
> bank did not accept rent agreement as proof of residence. The Hindu
> checked the website of the bank and found that the bank did accept
> house rent agreement as proof of residence. A call placed to the bank
> confirmed that a passport (proof of identity) and a rent agreement
> (proof of residence) were enough to start a bank account.
>
> Mr. Arshad finally opened a salary account with a bank that had his
> company's corporate account. “The bank could not refuse me because I
> came as a package,” Mr. Arshad says. He attributes his banking
> difficulties to the fact that he stays in Muslim-concentrated Okhla,
> an unofficial red zone for banks. Indeed, in the Muslim belt of Okhla,
> Zakir Nagar and Batla House stories abound of residents not being able
> to open bank accounts and of banks turning down their loan
> applications. The situation, residents say, has got worse after the
> September 2008 killing of two alleged terrorists in Batla House.
> “Landlords here refuse to give residence proof documentation for fear
> of being tracked down,” says Hasan Shuja, editor of Urdu daily
> Sahafat. Mr. Shuja, who has gone from bank to bank looking for a loan
> to expand his business, says, “I gave them all possible documentation
> but to no avail. But not just Delhi, you will hear the same thing
> wherever Muslims are in large numbers.”
>
> The sense of “exclusion” among Mr. Shuja and others has only
> heightened with recent reports that in Andhra Pradesh alone as many as
> 90,000 Muslims students were unable to open bank accounts to deposit
> their scholarship cheques. The complaints were received by the State
> Minorities Commission which, in turn, referred them to the National
> Commission for Minorities in Delhi. The Ministry of Minorities has
> since taken up the matter with the State's Chief Secretary. The
> puzzling thing here is that banks have shown the audacity to turn away
> students despite a standing RBI circular instructing them to open
> basic, no-frills accounts for people from deprived categories.

> [...]

Change is the only constant in life !