[Reader-list] Personal Identity Data and Mass Murder in India

Shashidhar shashidhar at butterfliesindia.org
Tue Jun 1 14:21:39 IST 2010

The circle come around finds itself at the beginning.

The UID is premised on a notion of identity (U say), It is not it is a
method for identification, more or less dog tagging citizen of India. It has
very little to do with identity and like many have said in the mailers a
card does little to take away or give identity(In the larger sense).

We have spoken about the money bit for a long time, there are a lot of
newspaper reports which you have mentioned, I really doubt their veracity
news is written by people like you and me and there is a lot of room for
error, opinions and understanding, Rs 1,50,000 crore is a stupendous amount
of money much more than the three big companies (Reliance, TATA, Indian
railways), the figures that I have are 180 crore in the first year 1800
crore in the next year and these are from the union budget and not some
projections made by some newspaper. These figures are not estimates they are
actuals.

Yes money is better spent in development projects, one does not need a UID
to work development, the dilemma is the kind of word we live in where people
are granted benefits and provisions which are out of turn and everyone wants
to get those benefits. If equity and equality can be assured in our country
there is no need for such an exercise. Many countries like you have
mentioned have suspended their processes of citizen dog tagging.

As far as protection of data is concerned, it must be their biggest concern
as well, which is why there is a technocrat on their rolls. As far as my
beliefs go nothing in this nation has changed because of the efforts and
initiatives of the government, the condition of poor remains the same, we
have more number of street kids on the roads, lesser arable land, more
strife and unconquerable apathy amongst the citizen. There is no need to
frame the UID as a failed project we are living in a failed state.

Shashi ( Paid to manage banter)