[Reader-list] "How fruit trees in Indian village save girls' lives"

DULALI NAG dulali.nag at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:48:38 IST 2010

But does this act not indirectly support the system of dowry? I do
understand that an individual family may find it daunting, nay impossible,
to stand up against this custom and this is a dignified solution to them.
But only people with substantial private land can plant 15 to 30 trees and
then protect their fruit from vandals and robbers. I mean, these families
are not the poorest of poor and possibly not even lower middle class. They
are well-off enough to see such a project through and then benefit from it.
Can a dalit family ever hope to do this? Or even a poor non-dalit family?