[Reader-list] Fw: ∮QAM∮ 19th July 2010: Minutes of the meeting : 2nd July Rally Discussion

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 00:51:48 IST 2010

365 days without 377
celebration-cum-protest
2nd July 2010 Azad
Maidan

On 2 July 2009 the
Delhi High
Court passed a landmark judgement. Sexual acts between consenting adults of the
same sex had long been criminalised under Section 377 of the Indian
Penal Code.
The Court ruled in favour of scrapping this clause, thus fulfilling our
most
basic demand.
We gather in Azaad Maidan this July 2nd to
celebrate this path breaking judgement and to emphasise our struggle for
freedom.
We ask for
freedom because discrimination against us
still exists. Besides, the Delhi High Court's progressive judgement is
being
stridently opposed by religious fundamentalists of every hue, who
proclaim that
our lives and desires go against “Indian culture”, that we are
“diseased”, and
so on. Yet we have always been a part of society, and we have the same
rights
to equality and dignity that belong to every individual in this
democracy.
We wish to
place our main demands before our
government and our society.
We invite
you all to be part of this celebration cum
protest at Azaad Maidan to express solidarity with the cause and to join hands
in celebrating this judgement which has implications for all struggles
for
justice, equality and freedom.
So see you
all at Azad Maidan, Mumbai on 2nd July 2010 between 3 and 6 pm
Queer Azadi
Mumbai
For more updated information please visit

http://tinyurl.com/qam2ndjuly2010