[Reader-list] The Trouble with Dr. Zakir Naik

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 22 20:01:05 IST 2010

Dear Kshmendra and Pawan
I am surpised that the debate about Zakir Naik has come so late on Sarai. There are enough people among what you call "secular intelligensia" and many more among Muslims who have criticized Naik and his channel. Although there are enough people who watch (and believe) him intently, but there is a growing number of Muslims who have started hating Zakir Naik. I am giving below some references that might provide some insight. Since these are from a research report I was working on, they have this sort of appearance.

Burney, Shahid Raza, 'Zakir Naik’s Remarks on Yazid Spark Anger Among Muslims', Arab News, 31 December 2007

Bhat, Javaid Iqbal, 'The problem of being Naik', The Daily Rising Kashmir, http://www.risingkashmir.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=21580 (accessed January 2010)

M. Hasan and Sweta Ramanujan-Dixit, ‘Why do Muslims hate Dr Zakir Naik?’, The Hindustan Times, Lucknow/Mumbai, November 09, 2008

Ahmed, Khaled, 'Second opinion: Zakir Naik’s ‘reverse orientalism’'(Khaled Ahmed’s TV Review), Daily Times, December 16, 2003, Karachi/Lahore

Rahman, A. Faizur, 'Questioning the “vision” behind Zakir Naik’s “Peace”,' in TwoCircles.net (http://www.twocircles.net)

Dhume, Sadanad, The Trouble with Dr. Zakir Naik
http://www.newageislam.com/NewAgeIslamArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=3025

Thanks

Yousuf