[Reader-list] The Trouble with Dr. Zakir Naik

shuddha at sarai.net shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Jun 23 21:18:11 IST 2010

Dear Kshmendra and Pawan

I re-read both your mails. And the target of my ire, should, legitimately, be
Sadanand Dhume, not either of you. I apologize for this confusion. Since you
(Kshmendra) have repeated, and Pawan has only reported, what Mr. Dhume has to
say about Zakir Naik. Both of these acts are perfectly legitimate in
themselves, and my irritation was misplaced and uncalled for.

However, the substance of my criticism, as it pertains to Dhume, remains. I
fail to see why any people should have a special responsibility to be
answerable for others who share their background, views, faith or ethnicities.
Zakir Naik is a fool, a bigot and a charlatan. Exposing him, or anyone like
him, regardless of their provenances, should not be anyone's specific
responsibility.

To suggest that it is, implies that we have to defend everything that emanates
from people who can be lumped together with us on the grounds of some ersatz
definition of identity. I refuse to have that thrust on me. Or to countenance
that being thrust on others.

I have consistently spoken against Hindu, Muslim or unbelieving bigotry, no
matter where it emanates from. I hope that everyone else does the same.

best

Shuddha

"Moreover, most of India's purportedly secular intelligentsia remains loath
to criticize Islam, even in its most radical form, lest this be interpreted
as sympathy for Hindu nationalism."

"Unless this changes, unless Indians find the ability to criticize a
radical Islamic preacher such as Dr. Naik as robustly as they would his Hindu
equivalent, the idea of Indian secularism will remain deeply flawed."

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 07:40:23 -0700 (PDT) Kshmendra Kaul
<kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com> wrote

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704365204575317833268479268.htm