[Reader-list] Ghumakkad Baaja at Sarai

Mitoo Das mitoo at sarai.net
Thu Jun 24 22:33:24 IST 2010

City as Studio : EXB 10.03

Presents

== Ghumakkad Baaja ==

An open collaboration between Prayas Abhinav, Hemant Babu, Ram Bhatt and
Nishant Sharma

A demonstration of an open and unregulated way of doing audio transmissions
 along with discussions about transmissions, public networks and
"selling air".

======================================================================================================
Can we be active broadcasters and not just passive consumers ?
Can we create and share audio/video content in a widely accessible way?
Could there be a platform much like satellite T.V, but in an on-the-move
outdoor friendly format without needing a multi-crore license?
======================================================================================================

6:30 p.m, Saturday, 26th June, 2010
Sarai-CSDS, 29, Rajpur Road, Civil Lines, Delhi-110054

We plan to use an amplified and meshed version of 2.4 ghz (Wi-fi)
transmission. This micro-wave segment of spectrum is not radio-waves. We
are doing this through high powered 4 Watt ERP transmitter-antennas, at
city scale, to make unregulated open-to-air audio broadcasting. We are
also developing a low-cost device which can receive these audio
broadcasts on the move. Leveraging the potential of an open community of
content creators, existing professionals, we will be populating multiple
channels of community, local and entertainment content on this
infrastructure.

India has a heavily regulated and censored radio-spectrum use policy for
broadcasters. There are no ways for people to create and share audio
content in a widely-accessible way. Internet-radio is not localized due
to bandwidth access. Community radio is very restrictive, low power and
does not allow news and political content.

The radio industry is dominated by commercial music syndicates and
public bodies which restricts the kind of content possibilities. In
comparison, other media (like TV, print, Internet) has much more
diversity to offer. Audio platforms have remained mostly one-way, and
have not exploited opportunities of p2p broadcasting networks.

A meshed Wi-fi local network (wireless ethernet) offering audio content
on a low cost device, so that news, local content and entertainment in
audio form can be accessed widely. The use of amplified wi-fi bandwidth
delivers high speed, interactive audio content city-wide.

Our solution will provide a platform much like satellite TV, but on
audio and in a on-the-move, outdoor-friendly format. The solution will
inherently be capable of being used for p2p data exchange and audio
streaming. This will enable people to be active broadcasters and not
just passive consumers of information.

====================================
City as Studio: EXB 10.03 is showing works by:

Prayas Abhinav
Shamsher Ali
Love Anand
Hemant Babu
Konrad Bayer
Ram Bhat
Nabina Das
Neelofer
Gaigongmei Gangmei
Goutam Ghosh
Deepankar Gohain
Niha Masih
Suraj Rai
Ish S
Nishant Sharma

Realised by Iram Ghufran, Amitabh Kumar
Produced at Sarai Media Lab, Sarai- CSDS
June 2010

Exhibition Timings:
11 am to 5 pm
Monday to Friday from June 18 to July 14, 2010

For details on the works, go here -
http://www.sarai.net/practices/media-forms/city-as-studio-exb/exb-10-03