[Reader-list] Voicing Our Selves: Qawwali Workshop

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:46:17 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arka Mukhopadhyay <arka.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Subject: [Opportunity1480] Qawwali and Voice Workshop

Dear Friends,

I'll be facilitating a workshop together with my friend and Qawwali singer
Saqlain Nizami. The workshop is on the 3rd and 4th, and will focus on sound.
The details are given below. Do come if you are interested, and do pass it
around as well. Thanks!

Workshop Title :  "Hu - Voicing our Selves"
Dates : July 3rd and 4th
Time : 10 AM to 5 PM
Fees : 2000/-
Venue : A 105 Defence Colony
Contact: 9311689319

The workshop will be on sound and voice therapy.  The title is taken from an
Arabic invocation and essentially means 'to be'. In the workshop,
participants will be working on embodying the inner voice and thus
connecting to our true Selves. Aspect of work would include connections
between sound and space, energy, sound and memory, images, body maps, sound
and movement, melody and rhythm through Shakespeare, and more.

It'll be co-faclitated by Arka Mukhopadhyay and Saqlain Nizami. Arka works
with performance research, especially on organic sources of expression
through traditional forms of voice and movement such as Upanishadic and
Buddhist chanting and breath practices, Baul and Sufi music, Kalaripayattu,
etc., and has especially been working on the therapeutic uses of
Shakespeare's texts. Saqlain is a hereditary Qawwal from the Hazrat
Nizamuddin Dargah. They have both performed and facilitated workshops and
masterclasses in India and abroad.

Please note, that we do not claim to offer solutions to any voice or speech
related medical conditions, and the workshop is 'therapeutic' only in the
sense of helping us connect with a sense of wholeness and harmony.
Participants can look forward to emerging with a greater awareness and sense
of embodiment, thus becoming more expressive and efficient communicators.

Warmth and peace,
Arka